+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    How many of us screen ourselves regularly, or test every tin of formula for contamination? Anyone can pick up anything from public toilets, trolleys, money, park benches, or anywhere else we may have been. Yet we probably wouldn't think twice about it unless we were really hit with something.
    That's a bit silly You most certainly can't pick up 'anything' from 'anywhere', but there are risky behaviours that expose your baby to very serious illnesses.

I know if I have been exposed to a risk, but do I *know* that my friend has not had unprotected 5ex (not talking about the frend in the OP here, just generally)? Do I know she would definitely disclose this to me? I certainly have no way of being sure a donor from the internet will disclose this to me.

And can I be sure the milk has been collected and stored safely??

No, I can't. The risk might be small, but the consequences are dire. I would not take the risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    EBM definitely - as a PP said - a BF baby is not used to formula and that could cause tummy issues.

can your friend be my friend too?? I'd love a friend that was BF'ing too. I really dislike that I'm the only one in my circle of friends/family that BFs.
    What a pity that you feel a bit alienated for BFing in your friend circle. Out of the 6 or so friends I see regularly with babies 5 of us BF and its really lovely that we can all do it together and talk about it and discuss any issues etc.

Maybe you could go an ABA meeting or a playgroup if you don't already and meet some extra friends who also BF?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my particular situation, I'd have to go with formula (prescription) since my babies are dairy and soy intolerant and I personally can't have even traces of either while feeding them.
    Although, if there was a 100% guarantee that the EBM has absolutely no dairy or soy proteins, that's what I'd choose!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum22 View Post
    What would you prefer? Ebm from another human? Or modified and chemicalised ebm from a cow?
    Yeah

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I'd go formula over friends EBM. I would also be worried that the friend might have taken a medication that goes into EBM, or have an infectious disease that she might not even know of yet, etc.

But my main concern was how sterile the EBM is ... was the bottle it was put in clean? was the breast pump 100% clean? was it frozen within 24 hours of pumping? has it been defrosted by the freezer not working at any point?

If I'm storing EBM for my dd's use then I'm pretty strict. I don't think I could trust another friend to be 100% strict. BUT, if she had extra EBM that was pumped within the last 24 hours & stored in the fridge, then I'd probably seriously consider it.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    EBM.... coz at least the baby is familiar with the taste of breast milk and it won't upset their stomach because it's made of completely different components to what their gut is used to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm all for bf and did myself for 5 months but every fortnight I gave my bubs a bottle of formula so I knew he would take it if somthing happend to me. It was great knowing I have a non fussy eater that would take formula. I have no problems using someone else's ebm but I would go the formula.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go EBM.. Only cause I still believe that Wet`nursing was an awesome idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    What a pity that you feel a bit alienated for BFing in your friend circle. Out of the 6 or so friends I see regularly with babies 5 of us BF and its really lovely that we can all do it together and talk about it and discuss any issues etc.

Maybe you could go an ABA meeting or a playgroup if you don't already and meet some extra friends who also BF?
    Thanks for your concern. I dont feel alienated as such more like a museum specimen, you know the type "now this is what some women chose to do many years ago...."

I do have a mothers group and playgroup that are lovely but all the mums there stopped BF'ing at 6-12mths. Whereas I am still trying albeit not succeeding very well BF'ing my 18mth old whilst pregnant. It is odd when everyone pulls out milk/formula for the mid morning snack for their toddlers and I pop out a boob...

I am lucky in that my family and in-laws are very pro BF but they are all of such different generations that it would be nice to share stories or experiences with women my age. I guess thats why I come on BH all the time - to share and gain insight into long term BF'ers.

Thanks again for your concern - I do appreaciate it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    EBM in a heartbeat, how lucky you are to have that option
    There is an interesting article about how just one bottle of formula changes a baby's gut flora and have lifelong effects, I think that is more to do with timing though, those first few months as a baby's gut matures are the worst.
    http://www.health-e-learning.com/art...tOneBottle.pdf