+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think it's weird though if you feel comfortable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go ebm without a doubt. And if it was my sister in law, or another close friend id be happy for them to bf my little boy. As far as I'm concerned, it's just feeding and not weird at all

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

abiishu  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would choose the EBM also, but understand that others might choose the formula. It is really what you feel comfortable with, not your well-meaning but intrusive friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    EBM. My second had the odd bottle of formula if I hadn't expressed and a social engagement came up but if there is a better option (EBM) I'd take it.

They say that just one bottle of formula can trigger allergies. My DD2 had a bottle of formula early on (whereas I'd been a bit more organised with DD1 and always had EBM in the freezer), and she got eczema at 7 weeks old. Obviously it might not have anything to do with the formula but after reading about the link between the two I try as hard as possible to avoid it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd give EBM. It takes a while for a BF baby's gut flora to recover from even a little bit of formula, I'd prefer the EBM for a breastfed bub.

But I can understand why others would choose formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies ladies! I am surprised at all the comments in favour of the EBM, I was starting to think I was a bit weird for NOT feeling weird about it!

When I bounced the idea off my DH he was so confused about WHY it would be weird! Men just see things so simply sometimes! Its refreshing. (I said "So, if I can't get enough EBM then X said she'd give us a bottle of her frozen milk for DD...." he said "Alright.", I asked if he had heard what I said, he repeated what I'd said and looked at me strangely when I said "do you think thats weird? giving DD X's milk?" he replied "Nope...? Isn't milk milk? Its not like she's diseased or anything. You'd give her your milk so whats the big deal?")

I'll get the frozen EBM incase its needed, and now don't feel like I'm weird for not thinking its weird!

For the record, yes my friend is lovely to offer Although she said she would not give her bub anyone elses milk, she is fine to share her own which I thought was really nice of her. I would give anyone my milk if I had enough!

Strangely enough though I wouldn't like someone else to actually BF my bub... but I can't quite put my finger on WHY I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Food for thought!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

share a book  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From my *limited* understand, doesn't donated EBM have to go through pasteruisation (terrible spelling, i know) etc?

I would go with formula.

ETA: It's not that I think it is *weird* but if it was me in that position, i wouldnt be sure of the safety. But then again, if it was me in that position, i would probably look into and know more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go EBM. DS and DD have both fed directly from a family member.

My kids were FFd from birth, but if they were breast fed it'd be better for them to stick with what their bodies are used to digesting as formula is known to be harder to digest that BM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would choose the EBM so the baby continues what she is used to.

A friend and I have tried BFing each others babies and it's really weird because they feel so different. The babies weren't all that impressed either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Milk from someone else. I have bf another baby myself, albeit an emergency situation. I don't think it's strange to give ebm or even a one off bf from someone else.