+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question regarding PPS while living with ex

Been chatting with a friend of mine who is really struggling atm. We are both unsure about this question so thought I'd put it to the hub before giving centrelink a call tomorrow.

She has a 4 week old and a 2 year old and just been diagnosed with pnd. Her and her ex DP separated last year however things are amicable and he is very supportive of her and the children. She is on maternity leave from work and receiving PPS. Ex has offered to move back into the spare room to be more of a help with the kids to ease some of the pressure with having pnd. Would this impact her PPS payment?? What does she need to tell centrelink?? They're not looking at getting back together, it's just probably the best case scenario for the sake of her health and the well being of the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I reckon they would have to fill out stat decs that they are remaining separated and that may still entitle her to what payments she has now. A friend of mine split from her husband, but neither could move out for a while. So to get separate payments they had to fill out a form, have stat decs filled out, provide proof that bills are not being shared etc.

I would tell Centrelink, if she doesn't and there's some issue, they might think she was trying to hide something...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I work at the Department of Human Services in a team that responds to enquiries about Centrelink on social media sites like this one.

Just thought I'd give you a bit of info about living with an ex-partner and how member of a couple assessments are done.

Living with an ex-partner is called being "separated under one roof" and will usually result in a member of a couple assessment. Things that are taken into consideration in the assessment are; the reasons that the people have moved back in together, how the relationship has changed since they were a couple, whether they share a bedroom and what names are on the lease/mortgage, how the finances are shared/bills are paid, if any legal action has been taken in regards to the separation, and finally, what their future plans are - if this is a short term solution or if they are planning on living together longer term.

Your friend should talk to someone about her situation. Centrelink Social Workers are available to help customers with difficult personal or family issues and can help with claims or referrals to community support services. You can contact them on 13 1794.

There's more info about services for families on the Human Services website here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/families

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your help. She has made an appointment to see a centrelink social worker to find out what her options are :-)