+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts ladies! My best friend is 9 weeks along & is attending a wedding today! She told me she is going to tell the rest of hubby's friends & partners the news and it got me thinking. I'm a bride to be and as exciting as a baby is, for the bride this wedding day is her baby and there's no hurt in just waiting one more day.

I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts to make sure it wasnt just me. My her best friend & I think that friends help each other out, so it's my duty to tell her not to do it. To let the bride have her day & then she can tell her good news the next day

Any ideas on how to go about this convo with her. Keep in mind she's 9 weeks, hormonal & very very moody!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is her relationship with the bride/groom?

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was a massive blow out when a family member in my family announced to immediate family they were pregnant two weeks before another family members wedding. I couldnt imagine the blowout if it was the same day.

Farmerwife is offline Excited & Nervous about being a mum for the first time in August :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not ok on someones wedding day, especially since your friend is only 9 weeks, still easy to hide! She will really look like she is trying to make the day about her. I have a friends wedding coming up when I will be 16 weeks & have wanted to wait till after that, say the Monday or Tuesday after to tell everyone but our family have known since 8 weeks & I don't think they will be able to keep it a secret for that long! Hopefully my friend is ok with my announcement a month before her big day.

My suggestion to help tell your friend:

tell her it would be better to tell everyone on a different day so she gets ALL the attention. Explain that while people will be happy for her they will be too distracted by the bride & groom to give her all the attention she deserves for this special time in her life & it would be much nicer for her if she told her family & friends on another day so everyone can gush all over her & her exciting news.

Sort of turn it around to her so it would seem like the bride & groom would be stealing her limelight if she went ahead & told people that day IYKWIM?

Hope that helps, you are a lovely friend to care so much, good luck with it xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmerwife For This Useful Post:

The Fox  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't. A wedding is all about the bride and groom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerwife View Post
    tell her it would be better to tell everyone on a different day so she gets ALL the attention. Explain that while people will be happy for her they will be too distracted by the bride & groom to give her all the attention she deserves for this special time in her life & it would be much nicer for her if she told her family & friends on another day so everyone can gush all over her & her exciting news.

^^THIS!!!!!!!^^^

Just what I was going to say....if you're announcing your pregnancy, why would you want it to be overshadowed by someone's wedding??

Plus, perfect way to voice it to her without hurting her feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by curiouschildcare View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts ladies! My best friend is 9 weeks along & is attending a wedding today! She told me she is going to tell the rest of hubby's friends & partners the news and it got me thinking. I'm a bride to be and as exciting as a baby is, for the bride this wedding day is her baby and there's no hurt in just waiting one more day.

I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts to make sure it wasnt just me. My her best friend & I think that friends help each other out, so it's my duty to tell her not to do it. To let the bride have her day & then she can tell her good news the next day

Any ideas on how to go about this convo with her. Keep in mind she's 9 weeks, hormonal & very very moody!
    Tell her if she wants to keep her friends she needs to keep her trap shut.
    She's being well and truly selfish if she is going to ruin someone else's day. If I had a friend that did that to me, they would be out the door so quick. If she gets cranky with you, tell her she's a selfish cow. No need to sweet talk her, just because she's pregnant doesn't give her the right to be so self centred.

My brother got engaged just before my other brother was due to wed, they didn't announce their news until after their wedding. Same went for me, I was engaged when my brother was expecting a baby so we left it unannounced until after they had their moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are pleanty of other days for your friend to announce her pregnancy, why take the limelight off the wedding?
    Announcing it at someones wedding may also backfire on your friend as people might not want to focus on her and her pregnancy.
    Last edited by heatherm; 10-02-2012 at 10:57.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heatherm For This Useful Post:

laurea  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Exactly! There's plenty of other days - like even the next day...?

The only circumstances I'd announce a pregnancy that hadn't previously announced would be if like if someone kept offering me alcohol I might say 'I can't... Like.. Really... Can't. But don't tell anyone!'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no way. i was 12.5wks preg with DD1 at my bro and SIL's wedding, i was a bridesmaid too.
    i didnt let on and XH (before he was X) spent the night secretly keeping my champagne glass topped up with sparkling apple juice to keep the act up.

Although i was dying to tell all my family i kept the news for another 10days so as not to steal the spotlight.

I knew if id told before the wedding everyone would have been talking about it so i chose to leave it till after