+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Varicose Veins Help Please

Hey all..

Have posted this in health issues but wondering if I can get response here too... Please ...

Looking into getting my varicose veins fixed..
    Found there are a few options and not sure which way to go ??
    Has anyone had it done in recent years and did u go nonsurgical or surgical?
    Any help suggestions will be well recieved..
    Thanx heaps Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had mine done non surgically llast year and they are still healing (ie. the veins can still be seen under my skin but are hard and dead. My body just needs to dissolve them) and I'm really happy with my decision. Surgically the surgeon wouldn't touch my varicose ones as they run through my pelvis and he said to go in to my pelvis and put coils on the ends of them to kill them has a high risk of problems later down the track. That wasn't an issue doing them non surgically My recommendation is to get a couple of opinions and then go where you feel you were get the best treatment for your legs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I recently had mine done,by Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy (UGS)
    Mr dr was awesome,he was sooo lovely,it wasnt too painful.I still have bruising but my veins are gone!
    Pretty expensive,but totally worth it,would do it again in a heartbeat!! If you want more info,PM me.

lola77 is offline BH Advocate - Sydney: Northern Beaches
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    THis might sound like a dumb question but when does a vein become 'varicose' and when is it just a really visible vein?

My skin is quite pale and transparent so my veins can be quite visible. I have a number on my calves which are a bit lumpy, and one on the front which feels like it sits in a depression when you touch.

I also have lots of purplish broken capillaries on my thighs that I would dearly love to disappear, but I guess those aren't as medically necessary as the veiny ones.

Does Medicare cover any of the treatment or is it considered a cosmetic procedure?

Thanks ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey lola77..

The purplish ones are generally what they call spider veins .. What I have look like a rope sticking out from the skin. It started behind my knee during my first pregnancy and has got worse duing the next 2 preg.. it is now across my shin and up in my groin. The spider veins u can generally get injected and they will sometimes dissappear altogether. I NO expert just know from my own experiences and research

Areca and Chels..

I am really not sure if the non surgical will work for me?? I found stripping and overnight hosp stay is going to be about $3000-4000 what where ur costs (if u dont mind me asking) and did they say this is good for really bad ones?
    thanx again Jo