+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And when you do change it, do parenting payment partnered that you are still entitled to a health care card.
    Once you declare your r'ship, if your man's financial/job status is over low income threshold, you may no longer be entitled to the benefit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi idonttrustjelly, I'm Marian, I work at the Department of Human Services and comment around here and on other forums from time to time, to give more info about Centrelink payments and services.

Just thought I'd add some detail about how being partnered is assessed by Centrelink. Basically, you will be regarded as a member of a couple if you usually live with your partner and are married or in a registered or de facto relationship (both opposite sex and same-sex).

There are five factors considered when making assessments about relationships for Centrelink purposes. These are the financial, social and sexual aspects of your relationship, and the nature of your household and commitment to each other.

There's more info about how assessments are done on this fact sheet here:
    http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/co576_1103/$file/co576_1103en.pdf

If you think you need to talk to someone about your own situation, give the families and parents line a call on 13 6150.

Hope that helps

Idonttrustjelly is offline 2008 AWARD WINNER The best username award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Marian,

Thanks for the info.
    Just a run through with the above info:

We're not married, we don't live together, aren't registered ... so i think that wipes out defacto! lol.
    We share 0 finances. He has his own rent and bills to take care of. We don't have anything joint actually.
    Socially we don't share friends, though our families know we are "together".
    Ah hem ... sexually ... lets just put a tick there
    The nature of my household is that he visits. We don't share any "Common" places. This is my home. When he's over, he's my guest.
    And our commitment to each other is that of any relationship. We don't see others. We care for each other. Future wise, we both do see one together but I'm not even divorced yet and I've just start studying, so we'll just see how it all goes with time

What's your opinion of this??
    Thanks J!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My take is make sure the utilities, lease & your registered voting address are at your house and his remain at his place until you plan on movbing in together fulltime.

Having been a public servant in the past, these are tools that government agencies have to check up on where people live.

Like previous posters said, until you're planning on it becoming more permanent, I wouldn't count him as a defacto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't bother, your not living together so it shouldn't be classed as defacto. They can't prove it. When I was classed as partnered we both weren't working and lost 100 each. Couldn't afford most things to begin with and then lost that extra money I had to start getting money off my parents cuz after rent we were left with only 100 for the fortnight for bills fuel and food.

Expecting our first on the 14th of August..

Sent from IPhone using Bubhub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Idonttrustjelly View Post
    Hi Marian,

Thanks for the info.
    Just a run through with the above info:

We're not married, we don't live together, aren't registered ... so i think that wipes out defacto! lol.
    We share 0 finances. He has his own rent and bills to take care of. We don't have anything joint actually.
    Socially we don't share friends, though our families know we are "together".
    Ah hem ... sexually ... lets just put a tick there
    The nature of my household is that he visits. We don't share any "Common" places. This is my home. When he's over, he's my guest.
    And our commitment to each other is that of any relationship. We don't see others. We care for each other. Future wise, we both do see one together but I'm not even divorced yet and I've just start studying, so we'll just see how it all goes with time

What's your opinion of this??
    Thanks J!

Unfortunately I can only give general info and not specific advice. I think others on here have made some really good points though. If you want a concrete answer for your situation, it's best to call the families and parents line. Sorry I can't be more specific here. - M

Thanks
    Reviews
    My take is make sure the utilities, lease & your registered voting address are at your house and his remain at his place until you plan on moving in together fulltime.

Having been a public servant in the past, these are tools that government agencies have to check up on where people live.
    Aside from the fact that a listed address does not prove where you live, having been through this process before, even if you share a lease and utilities and someone finds you both on the voting register, this still doesn't automatically qualify you as 'together'. I have lived with people before in this manner and we have not been in a relationship. There is a process you have to go through with Centrelink and based on the information you give them, they make a decision accordingly based on their rules and their jargon, not ours.

As has been pointed out, it's better that you go into an office or call them to make any queries as every personal situation is different and one size does not fit all.