+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Idonttrustjelly is offline 2008 AWARD WINNER The best username award
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice Please: Relationships and Centrelink Payments??

Hi everyone,

Once again, I haven't been on here for ages but have a question.

To give a quick rundown, I'm separated from my ex, but have been seeing a great guy for over a year now.
    I recently moved into my own place with the kids and it's great
    My new guy lives at his own house, visits very often, but only sleeps here 2 nights during the fortnight. I pay my rent, bills, shopping and etc alone as he has his own to deal with.

I don't see us a "defacto" relationship because we still live separately and don't rely on each other in a married nature, but yes, we are in a relationship.
    Do I need to tell centrelink about this type of relationship?

And if I do, will this effect my pension?

I had a post about this quite a while ago and from what I was told, it made me decide not to move in with him because then I'd be put on Partnered Payments and if I did that, the kids and I would never survive.
    I don't wish to commit fraud and end up being persecuted, but I need my pension.

Any advice please

xx J

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Idonttrustjelly For This Useful Post:

starsky79  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in a similar position when I first met DH. He was staying Friday and Saturday nights and c/link told me that was considered partnered and I lost my PPS. He moved in about a month later.

If he is only there twice a f/n I wouldn't bother telling them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DP and I started dating I was told anymore then 2 nights per week would be considered defacto, so if your partner is only staying twice a fortnight I would day your safe. Once your cinsidered defacto (usually once moving in together) you will lose youre single pension and get put on parenting payment paretnered if elidgable, you should still get the same amount of FTB and Rent assistance (unless his wage is more then allowed)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm I was advised recently it's any more than 3 nights/week to be classified as defacto, but as far as I'm concerned, when your finances are separate and you are both responsible for the up keep of your own homes, it's none of Centrelinks business.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

jessesgirl  (10-02-2012),starsky79  (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

Milktini, I checked out the centrelink calculator/estimator from my last thread about a similar issue, and when I put in his details and my own, it got basically 0. No tax benefits, nothing. I'd have to rely solely on him, which I believe is unfair, he's not their father, nor mine!

I'm hoping that I can finish studying in a few years, get a proper job and not have to worry about centrelink anymore. Gawd I'd love to not need them!!

xx J

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently moved into my own place with the kids and it's great
    My new guy lives at his own house, visits very often, but only sleeps here 2 nights during the fortnight. I pay my rent, bills, shopping and etc alone as he has his own to deal with.

I don't see us a "defacto" relationship because we still live separately and don't rely on each other in a married nature, but yes, we are in a relationship.

Do I need to tell centrelink about this type of relationship?
    Short answer: no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way would I tell them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had this problem Centrelink told me that 2 people living together full-time is defined defacto, I lived in Qld and my partner in Vic for a year before we moved in the same house let alone the same state. I wouldn't say you pair are defacto until you share each others bills, why risk your parenting payment to go down if he already pays his own rent and can't afford to pay yours at the same time, I wouldn't worry until youse are living under the same roof even then you have 14 days to notify them!

And when you do change it, do parenting payment partnered that you are still entitled to a health care card.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I told them once my partner moved in full time. Prior to that he stayed now and then but we both operated separate households.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your advice everyone

I think I'll just relax and stop freaking myself out now, lol!!

xx J