+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Anterior Placenta

Reading through my ultrasound report, I noticed that it says the position of the placenta is anterior; I recall hearing the term on here in some threads... what exactly does it mean? Is that a normal/usual position? Read somewhere that it could hinder my feeling movement.. why? I've been feeling flutters (not all the time, but I'm only 16 weeks) especially at night, since around 13 weeks. Does the placenta sit in the same position the whole time? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told I have the same thing. It means it might b a while before you feel bubs kick. It might change as the pregnancy progresses

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CypKitty For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    anterior means it is at the front.
    i got told after my morph scan my placenta is anterior, i am not sure if this is correct or not as i feel heaps of movements and have since quite early on although this is second bubba.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heatherm For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Anterior placenta means that your placenta is sitting at the front of your belly.. It doesn't cause any problems could just be awhile before you feel lots of kicks.. I had one with DD3 felt flutters early but not full blown kicks until 24weeks.. I know at the 20week
    Scan they couldn't do the whole scan or pick up the sex as it was in the way- nothing that a 3D scan didn't pick up a few weeks later though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My placenta is anterior which means positioned at the front. At 20 weeks it was low lying near my cervix but by 32 weeks had stretched up and away from my cervix and is now at the very front of my tummy. In my experience I have felt a lot less movement of bub the whole pregnancy as the placenta is acting as a cushion. I mostly only feel movement on the side, or top of my belly and my organs especially my bladder My DD's placenta was posterior and I felt her moving constantly, I'm actually preferring the anterior placenta as my sleep hasn't been disturbed by bub's movements!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inertia For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    99% of every movement felt so far has been on the lower left side. That's also where the sonographer focused the scanner for the entire ultrasound as well.
    Naaw, I'm sad now. I think that feeling movement is the single greatest joy during pregnancy I hope it improves. For the past 2 days I've also been experiencing a low, heavy/aching pressure type cramp, more pronounced on my lower left side. Could this be to do with all of this? I put it down to normal strething etc.. but now I'm not sure. Just googled anterior placenta and read about the connection with 'placenta previa' ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like the other posters said, an anterior placenta means that it is sitting at the front instead of the back. It's still normal, though! I had an anterior with my first pregnancy. It just meant that I first felt her kicks a little later than most, and they weren't ever really as strong as if my placenta was on the back wall instead. Don't stress though, you'll definitely still be able to feel your little one kick! I promise

12. The Following User Says Thank You to miaedensmummy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    Just googled anterior placenta and read about the connection with 'placenta previa' ....
    Gosh woman, stop googling!! You're going to do yourself a mischief haha.

Anterior just means on the front.

I think (from reading your other posts) that you really should call and make an appointment to see your midwife or OB to talk through your concerns about the crampy feeling you are getting. It is probably nothing, but you need to put your mind at ease so that you can actually enjoy the pregnancy, rather than stressing about things all the time - this is not good for you OR baby!

Don't think that they will just dismiss you as being a hypocondriac - that is what they are there for, and you deserve to be put at ease/further investigated etc.

Perhaps think of a list of things that worry you the most, and ask about your risk factors, and the tests/signs of these.

You seem so stressed...I just want to give you a big hug!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    HiI have an anterior placenta also, I was also worried as none of my friends had ever had this but doc says its fine and very normal, just quote " unfortunate for first time mums " I felt flutter from 16 weeks but poor DP couldnt feel the little man until 24 weeks. Some people say a blessing as they don't wake you up at night as much lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nessa89 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have anterior placenta this time round, I also had it with my first pregnancy; making a total of 2 out of 5.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HG98 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-02-2012)