User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Listerine + vodka for head lice?

I am fed up with head lice and was on the phone to a friend earlier about them, after doing the head lice treatment then the conditioner and comb tonight, knowing they will be back. Yes I wash and disinfect everything and have cut her hair short pixi style, but they will not leave for more than a week at a time.

Apparently a bottle of listerine with a bit of vodka in it kills the head lice and leaves the hair softer and easier to comb than conditioner. She offered for me to use half a shot of vodka for dd's hair.

Has anyone ever tried that? It sounds like it could work, but wanted to hear from others first.
    Parenting alone since 2003

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never heard of it but as long as you wash it out properly, I can't see that it could cause any harm. Worth a shot, breaking the head lice cycle can be a nightmare! I just wish everyone would do as you do and treat their kids properly, get all the eggs out and sterilize everything...then they wouldn't keep reinfecting everyone else!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

share a book  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    I've never heard of it but as long as you wash it out properly, I can't see that it could cause any harm. Worth a shot, breaking the head lice cycle can be a nightmare! I just wish everyone would do as you do and treat their kids properly, get all the eggs out and sterilize everything...then they wouldn't keep reinfecting everyone else!!
    Yes it is a nightmare, and I think people at our school do a pretty good job of it, but living in the tropics means we have to spend summer dealing constantly with head lice and fleas for those with furbabies.

Apparently it washes out easier than head lice shampoo too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    best stuff i ever used was the tiny homebrand bottle of dishwashing liquid concentrate. costs less than $1. just comb it through the hair with the nit comb and it kills the lice and makes the eggs swell up so they just comb out. and best of all the hair is so shiny afterwards. then a spray bottle with some tea-tree oil in it to spray on their hair each morning.
    MeDh
    DD: 9 DS: 6
    DS2: 4 DD2: 1

& DSD1:22, DSD2: 21, DSS:19

6. The Following User Says Thank You to InSaneOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you do try it let us know how you go. With three girls and parents at school constantly ignoring the fact their kids are infested without fail soon after holidays are over I'm back to combing and treating. I can't see the harm in using listerine and vodka. I have heard of people using much worse things like metho so I say go for it

Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mumof3monkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by InSaneOne View Post
    best stuff i ever used was the tiny homebrand bottle of dishwashing liquid concentrate. costs less than $1. just comb it through the hair with the nit comb and it kills the lice and makes the eggs swell up so they just comb out. and best of all the hair is so shiny afterwards. then a spray bottle with some tea-tree oil in it to spray on their hair each morning.
    Wow might try that too, I am sick of paying for chemist bought stuff that rarely works

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 posts
    Vodka is for tomato juice!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

SeZz  (09-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe she meant a shot of vodka for your frustrations and listerine to cover the alcohol breath

lol, sorry

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwyane Wade For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (09-02-2012),share a book  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof3monkeys View Post
    If you do try it let us know how you go. With three girls and parents at school constantly ignoring the fact their kids are infested without fail soon after holidays are over I'm back to combing and treating. I can't see the harm in using listerine and vodka. I have heard of people using much worse things like metho so I say go for it

I have heard of metho, kerosene and tequila, but I imagine they may irritate the skin whereas vodka I don't think would. Might try dishwashing concentrate too. It's neverending! I have tried tea tree oil, peppermint oil, olive oil, I do the condition and comb every night and treat weekly. Every sunday I strip the beds, disinfect hair brushes, clean pillows, mattresses, chairs, carseat, treat hair, then send her out to collect more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good way to burn your kids scalp. I think it's as bad as using metho. I use natural stuff orange medic and comb hair every night for 2 weeks. Then I put hair spray in before school which stops them sticking the the hair strands. I also sit for as long as possible going strand by strand and remove the eggs. I do it every second night for 1 week. My kids have only had lice twice because of this.
    Hello
    I am the Happyness fairy, I've sprinkled fairy dust on you.
    So smile darn it this s#!ts expensive