+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks, I wasn't really after suggestions for us, more sharing what we do. But these are great ideas! I did the plastic eggs one year because dd's half siblings had Easter with us that year and since all 3 were only 2, and I had no idea how the mother of the twins felt, I thought it was best to put little stamps, stickers, small toy cars, etc, in them for the kids to find.

My attempt at hot cross buns was an epic fail so I am sort of after ideas on that in case we can't find any that are gfcf. Any alternatives to them rather than having them at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im not one to buy lots of easter eggs as they dont need them. they will both get a set of winter pj's and a dvd instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pajamas. My mum used to buy us our winter PJs and now I do it for my kids. My kids do not need chocolate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are out in the shops already. If you see any you could grab them and freeze them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat My Fairy Dust View Post
    They are out in the shops already. If you see any you could grab them and freeze them.
    We need gluten and dairy free. The gluten free ones last year had too much milk in them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I live in hope that there will be hot cross buns available, but what I learnt last year is that the only chocolate (gluten free, vegan) that she will eat is a bunny I bought at a specialty shop, and she didn't even finish it.

This year she is getting 2 books, a small craft set, a movie, 1 bunny chocolate (think it was 40g) and maybe a new outfit. I was also thinking of getting a fish. We have the accessories, so just need fish and some food for him.

For others with kids who won't get chocolate, what do you do?

Also what do you have in place of hot cross buns?
    Well DD is dairy and egg free (allergic) so this year I'll be making home made chocolate with oat milk!!! Also hot cross buns. But normally (this year included because I'm a junk food freak) she will get pjs, a DVD and a couple of small eggs for an egg hunt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We need gluten and dairy free. The gluten free ones last year had too much milk in them.
    You could get dairy and gluten free from the freezer section last year. I got some to try there were pretty yuck though. How about making some yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    1/2 c. brown rice flour
    1/2 c. sorghum flour
    1/4 c. millet flour
    1/4 c. potato starch
    1/2 c. tapioca starch
    1 1/2 tsp. xathan gum
    1 tsp. unflavoured gelatin
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. dry egg replacer
    1/2+ tsp. cardamom
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    2 tbsp. almond flour
    1 egg replacer (1 1/2 tsp. dry made with 2 tbsp. rice milk)
    1/4 c. applesauce
    3/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
    2 tbsp. honey or agave, divided into 1 tsp. and 1 tbsp. + 2 tsp.
    2 tbsp. coconut oil, cut into small chunks
    1 tsp. lemon zest
    2 1/4 tsp. dry yeast granules
    3/4 c. warm water (105 – 110 F)
    1/4 c. citron peel or glace mix
    1/4 c. raisins

Grease and dust an 8″ pan with flour (I used tapioca starch.)
    In a liquid measure cup, measure out warm water. Add the yeast and 1 tsp. of honey. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Set aside to proof.
    In a medium bowl, measure out all the dry ingredients, making sure to spoon flours into the measuring cups, not scoop them. Whisk together until combined. Set aside.
    In the bowl of a mixer, put the egg replacer, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp + 2 tsp. honey, coconut oil and lemon zest. Beat on medium until mixture is well combined and you can no longer see any big-ish chunks of coconut oil.
    Add the water yeast mixture and beat until combined.
    Spoon in the dry ingredients at low speed until combined. Then beat on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes. Mix in raisins and citron peel.
    Spoon dough into the 8″ pan making 9 about evenly sized and spaced buns. The dough at this point is quite sticky, so it’s okay if it’s not in a perfect bun shape.
    Cover with a dish towel and let rise until about doubled in size. (I left mine on the kitchen counter and went away for two hours and came back, but if you don’t have that time, stick the buns in a warm place where they will rise much faster. The original recipe said about 35 minutes for rapid acting yeast and 60 minutes for regular yeast.)
    Preheat oven to 375F. Using a sharp knife, use the tip to cut a cross in each bun.
    Bake for about 24 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
    Remove and let them cool.
    If you so desire, you can mix some icing sugar with a small amount of water and pipe on crosses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They had gf at the health food shop but they had dairy in them. She isn't 100% df because very small amounts seem to not affect her. She has crepes that don't affect her even though they contain milk solids but she can only have 1, and if I buy bread the type I buy has milk solids, so she has just 1 sandwich, and if she has something containing milk solids she can't have anything else. The hot cross buns had too much dairy. She only had 2, no other milk, and spent a good portion of the morning in the loo. I will keep an eye out for dairy free ones.

Also like I said, last year's attempt at home made turned out to be an expensive, time consuming, epic fail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They had gf at the health food shop but they had dairy in them. She isn't 100% df because very small amounts seem to not affect her. She has crepes that don't affect her even though they contain milk solids but she can only have 1, and if I buy bread the type I buy has milk solids, so she has just 1 sandwich, and if she has something containing milk solids she can't have anything else. The hot cross buns had too much dairy. She only had 2, no other milk, and spent a good portion of the morning in the loo. I will keep an eye out for dairy free ones.

Also like I said, last year's attempt at home made turned out to be an expensive, time consuming, epic fail.
    The frozen ones I got last year were actually just from Coles! But they were very pricey.

I can understand about not wanting to make them!! I'm so glad DDs having gluten again because it was so much more expensive and the recipes were fiddly as!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

F&A  (09-02-2012)