+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What to do with DD whilst I'm in labour?!?!?!

We recently moved to QLD and have very little support here. I'm due next month and am being booking in for an elective but am open to going into labour naturally (if it happens).
    My question is, because I have no doubt other mums have gone through the same thing, is if I labour naturally what do I do with my 22 month old daughter?? My partner and I have gone through many different options and so far the only one that seems practical is to take her with us to the hospital, which doesn't seem practical at all!!!
    I may not go into labour, so this may not be an issue but I would love to hear how other families have coped with their other children when there hasn't been additional support for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Does she have some dab movies? Maybe bring a DVD player with ear phones? Last thing you need is to be worrying about dd

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd came with us because my second labour happened to quickly my parents were going to take her but they had to drive 45 mins she just stayed with my partner and laboured by myself (it was only for 30 mins then when dd2 was just about to come out a middie took dd (my dad happened to arrive at that second to take my dd and my partner came in seconds before i pushed out dd2 then my dd1 and dad came in 10 mins afters it all happened dd1 looked at dd2 and said oh babies here now mummy and then read a book on the couch and ate a biscuit like was nothing new and it has fortunately been perfect since they love each other ALOT. So to really answer your question i would just take her and see how it all pans out good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have every intention of dd being present and involved in the arrival of our new family member. So i guess my opinion is just take her

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Literally 5 mins ago i posted the same query in another area of the site. We're in the same dilema. Day time is fine its just the night time that we have no one to call upon.
    Our option was to have hubby stay at home while DD slept and i go into the hospital and labour/possibly have baby on my own. I feel confident about this. But just feel aweful that hubby could possibly miss out on the birth of his first son.
    Then the thought occured to me that we just bring DD in with us. It all sounds easy right....BUT... I just know that she'll want to sit with me and wonder what the heck is going on. I dont know if she will receive my rejection and lack of interest to her during what would be a very confusing time for her. Im just worried about how she will perceive it all. Will it scar her for life? Her memory is amazing at 2.5 years of age. I also doubt very much that she'll go to sleep if its some ungodly time of the night/morning which will make it harder for all of us to get through.
    I guess you know your own child better than anyone else. You do what feels right. At the moment what feels right for us is to have hubby stay at home with DD while she sleeps. Then in the morning, hubby can drop her off at a friends house early and come in to either help me labour the rest of the way or meet his new little man and have some quality time before he goes home to look after the ruckus toddler while mummy is having a 'holiday'!
    Here's hoping we all go into labour at 6am and have bubs no later than say 7pm!

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We had my SIL lined up to look after DS whilst I had DD but given the unpredictability of labour and birth and the fact that SIL doesn' thave a car and I wanted to labour at home, in peace on my own for as long as possible there was every chance that we would have to take DS to the hospital with us. I organised a bag for him with a change of clothes including a jumper if it was cold/night time. There were heaps of sticker books, drawing/colouring in, new little toys, activity things, long life snacks (eg dried fruit, long life milk drinks, museli bars, bottled water), portable DVD player and a couple of DVDs and some cash in a purse in case SIL had to meet us at the hospital and needed money for taxis, vending machines or what ever.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    personally i had the same problem, but was not planning to go into labor at all & had a c section planned. I am not close to my mum & dont have any other family to help but i ended up asking my mum to stay over & look after my then 14 month old daughter. Its such a big thing to go through, i would not want the worry of looking after a toddler to distract you from the task at hand. Maybe you want her there - but from experience (my DD is now 20 months old) they are a handful at that age.

If possible can you look at hiring someone to help via the hireababysitter webpage, you could interview them first maybe have a few paid playdates with the person & then have them either come to the hospital with you & look after her there or have her look after her at your home. I used to site to find someone to help me when i was pregnant becuase i had placenta previa & couldnt lift my daughter towards the end of the pregnancy - alot of the girls are childcare workers looking for extra work & the rate is usually about $18.00 per hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pynk View Post
    I had this with my last bub so I was induced at 7am after I dropped off at daycare and I left the hospital at 5 pm in time for the daycare lady to drop them home.

Sent from my HUAWEI SONIC using BubHub
    Wow ... That made me laugh!

The carers must have been a bit freaked - at morning drop off your pregnant and by afternoon pick up you rock up holding bubs. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pynk View Post
    I had this with my last bub so I was induced at 7am after I dropped off at daycare and I left the hospital at 5 pm in time for the daycare lady to drop them home.

Sent from my HUAWEI SONIC using BubHub
    Classic story!!!!

Sent from Mel's iPhone using Bub Hub app