+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's important to tell them too! I'm sure the doctor won't judge you for it, believe me they've seen anything. And it is extremely important they know if you are on any medications as I'm sure you know they can cause problems with bubba.
    Pregnancy and new parenthood are a stressful time and many patients can relapse. So the medical team can give you extra support to make sure you don't spiral into depression or mania. they can also offer you extra supportive services for when baby arrives.

Do you have a specific reason you don't want them to know? Or is it mostly for fear of being judged?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well excuuuse me. For the record I too am Bipolar and stable/unstable is the term used by my GP and psych when determining how I am going. If things are going well, I'm stable, when I'm not going well I'm unstable. Lecture about the stigma all you want, I face it and am an active awareness campaigner to help break stigma and encourage people to seek help.
    For the record OP, you should tell them about your condition. I went into my last pregnancy not admitting it and by 19 weeks was hospitalised. You can't predict how you'll go.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Everyone,

Wow thanks for all you replies. I tend not to use the term stable and unstable but I don't find it rude. I tend to say I am feeling a little floaty.lol. There are many reasons for me not wanting disclose the main being that when I was 35 wks preg with dd 1 I went to the hospy with cronic back pain and heart palpitations, They called a social worker on me who proceded to tell me and my mum that the were going to admit me to the physch ward because in her beleif I was in an unstable condition. She had only just met me.

My mum told me to get up and leave straight away, We did this and my sister paid for me to go to a private hospital to get reaccessed and it turns out that I was in labour and my back was so sore cause my dd was grinding her way down it to get out.

I don't beleave that my being pregnant has anything to do with my mental health. I attend regualar sessions with a private psych and am on regualar meds that will have no effect on bub. I just don't want my mental health to be the reason that they will not listen to me when I'm telling them there is something going on in my preg and labour.

Cheers for all the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fichicken View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Wow thanks for all you replies. I tend not to use the term stable and unstable but I don't find it rude. I tend to say I am feeling a little floaty.lol. There are many reasons for me not wanting disclose the main being that when I was 35 wks preg with dd 1 I went to the hospy with cronic back pain and heart palpitations, They called a social worker on me who proceded to tell me and my mum that the were going to admit me to the physch ward because in her beleif I was in an unstable condition. She had only just met me.

My mum told me to get up and leave straight away, We did this and my sister paid for me to go to a private hospital to get reaccessed and it turns out that I was in labour and my back was so sore cause my dd was grinding her way down it to get out.

I don't beleave that my being pregnant has anything to do with my mental health. I attend regualar sessions with a private psych and am on regualar meds that will have no effect on bub. I just don't want my mental health to be the reason that they will not listen to me when I'm telling them there is something going on in my preg and labour.

Cheers for all the replies
    You know what you're doing girlfriend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP it sounds like you have things well under control. The best person to look after your mental health is you followed by your psychiatrist who im sure knows you well.
    It sounds like a terrible experience first time around.
    I have seen it so many times, I even had one client subjected to a DoCS referral by an ignorant doctor after she had her baby even though she had been great all pregnancy and there was no indication for it.
    Unfortunately stigma does exist, that is one of the reasons for "PC" language, to try and break down those barriers. When you hear the way some people use the word "unstable" it can be very offensive to a distressed person. Dont be offended people, I wasnt having a go at anyone I am just passionate about equality in mental health care.
    Good luck OP, sounds like you have a good plan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fichicken - I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience

I would think that the only reason that you would need to tell any medical professionals about your BP would be if you have a complication and needed to be treated with medications that might not work with your current meds.

That said - do you have any other options in terms of hospitals/OBs? I just ask as I went with an OB who was very sensitive to my mental health issues - he also organised for me to be guaranteed a single room post delivery (to maximise sleep and minimise relapse) and an extended hospital stay if I wanted extra support. It was nice to feel that he was a part of my support network.

Best of luck with your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think you have made the right choice. If you believe you are capable and want to start a fresh then you deserve that. I trust that if things get very nasty for you with your BP then you will speak up but as long as you are doing fine then YOU DESERVE to be free from medical staff throwing PB in your face.

I had an eating disorder when i was 17. I am now 28. The hospital dug up my files and they wrote my GP a letter saying I am a patient at risk of Bulimia, They have NEVER weighed me at my prenatal visits AND they made me get extra scans in case baby was small.

I was very angry and offended for a very long time. And when you say you are fine they start writing things down in your file. Its very infuriating.

I support your decision to keep your medical information to yourself.