+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can u limit the babies sleep during the day, or push his bedtime back a little?
    Maybe only a small drink bottle of water for the 4yo so he isnt stomping around at 4am waking everyone up for a drink. Limit fluid intake before bed and make sure he empties his bladder. If its that bad, maybe go and wake him before u go to bed to use the toilet, then u mite be able to leave a drink for him without the concern of him wetting through? That mite stop the 4am wake up.
    I assume putting them in seperate rooms isnt an option?

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lulululu. I feel your pain. We have a 2.5 y/o son who has been waking our good sleeping daughter who is now 4, since he was born. We have tried everything over the last 2 years and currentlly our solution is:We bought a king sized bed and they both end up in there with us around 2-4 am every single day. They go back to sleep in about 10 minutes like that, as opposed to an hour of crying if we insist they stay in bed. Never thought we'd agree to them in our bed but that gets us more sleep than anything else we tried. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    Lulu, I don't know either!

Could they be cold? Is their body clock now set at that time? I swear, in cue when 4:30 rolls around my DD is up... :/

I'm over it - this Started with the seasons change in September and I honestly thought a month later of adjustments (we blocked out all our room so not one ray of light could possibly shine through) but it made no difference...

I don't know what else to do...
    Not cold, I don't think. Yes, I think his body clock is now set to 5, because he's been waking at that time for so long. We got block out blinds but that makes no difference as he is waking long before it even starts to get light

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzz View Post
    Mine might be bad advice, but if my 18mo DS wakes before 6:30, I give him a bottle (bad I know...) and that's puts him back to sleep every time.... Sorry I don't have more practical help!
    I don't think it's bad advice at all, but unfortunately it just doesn't work for my boy - at least not often. I Breastfeed him when he wakes at 5. He often feeds for almost an hour then jumps up ready to play. I WISH he'd fall asleep. VERY occasionally he will, but as he gets older its happening less and less. Like its probably been more than two months since the last time he fell back to sleep. It's like he's really wide awake and raring to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Can you take the four year old to the toilet around 10-11 at night? we do that with my daughter and she sleeps thru - if we don't sometimes she wets or sometimes she awakes to go to toilet. Maybe he is waking for toilet, or if wetting through his nappy because it gets cold?

I think once you get one of the children sorted the other will sleep better too - my son (2) often wakes my daughter (4) at 6, so she has learnt to sort of sleep walk herself into our bed pretty much every morning around 5.30 so she isn't woken til 7. Son wakes at 6 but is happy singing and talking and reading in his cot til 6.45-7 most mornings.
    Oh I wish ours would sleep til 7! I'd be thrilled with 6 even! If he went to the toilet at 11pm that might just help but I don't know how to make him do it. If he wakes he near has a tantrum if I suggest he sit on the toilet. I shudder to think how he'd react if I woke him to go. I imagine he'd refuse loudly enough to wake his brother... Certainly worth considering though, I agree.
    I also think sorting one will help the other. Just not sure which one to try and change first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    Can u limit the babies sleep during the day, or push his bedtime back a little?
    Maybe only a small drink bottle of water for the 4yo so he isnt stomping around at 4am waking everyone up for a drink. Limit fluid intake before bed and make sure he empties his bladder. If its that bad, maybe go and wake him before u go to bed to use the toilet, then u mite be able to leave a drink for him without the concern of him wetting through? That mite stop the 4am wake up.
    I assume putting them in seperate rooms isnt an option?

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    No, no other room available. Except ours and we had him in with us for about 9 months and he actually slept better once we moved him out. Our floors are so creaky he used to wake whenever we moved.
    I've pushed his bedtime back once before and it made no difference, but I have been thinking of trying it again...
    He stomps down to our room regardless of whether the water is in his room or ours or the bathroom. He comes saying he "needs" us then has a drink on the way back to bed.
    Waking him up is easy, but how do I make him go to the toilet. He refuses and says he's tired!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by made2bAmummy View Post
    Hi lulululu. I feel your pain. We have a 2.5 y/o son who has been waking our good sleeping daughter who is now 4, since he was born. We have tried everything over the last 2 years and currentlly our solution is:We bought a king sized bed and they both end up in there with us around 2-4 am every single day. They go back to sleep in about 10 minutes like that, as opposed to an hour of crying if we insist they stay in bed. Never thought we'd agree to them in our bed but that gets us more sleep than anything else we tried. Good luck.
    Sorry, first up I need to say I accidentally jabbed the share button instead of the quote button and I have no idea what that does, so sorry if I've sent your post somewhere!
    Secondly, I had to laugh because we went out and bought a king size too! We had a few blissful days where my wife and I gazed at each other over the heads of two sleeping kids. But now the youngest won't sleep. Instead he does boobnastics, attempting to twist my nipple off as he lays on my chest ON HIS BACK while feeding, kicks my wife and I in the face/head/back etc until he's had enough milk then he jumps down and starts causing havoc, getting into our draws, getting stuck under the bed, climbing onto the tallboy, and generally making a nuisance of himself until i give in and get up and take him downstairs. The eldest no longer wants to get into our bed (I can't imagine why :/ )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    No, no other room available. Except ours and we had him in with us for about 9 months and he actually slept better once we moved him out. Our floors are so creaky he used to wake whenever we moved.
    I've pushed his bedtime back once before and it made no difference, but I have been thinking of trying it again...
    He stomps down to our room regardless of whether the water is in his room or ours or the bathroom. He comes saying he "needs" us then has a drink on the way back to bed.
    Waking him up is easy, but how do I make him go to the toilet. He refuses and says he's tired!
    I haven't done the night wee with a boy yet, but assuming no difference - we don't actually wake our daughter, we just pick her up and then put her on the toilet. If she is having trouble going a whisper for her to wee, or make a 'wee wee wee' type sound.
    She normally wees.

They just sound like they are accustomed to getting up at 5 though.
    Can you encourage them to stay in their beds longer by keeping everything dull, dark, quiet until at least 6 or 6.30 whatever you are aiming for, and delaying breakfast? Also maybe sneak books into babies cot for him to entertain himself whilst you are working on keeping older boy in bed. Have you tried setting rules like - do not get out of bed before the sun comes up? We had a don't yell out rule til my daughter could see we playground - that worked for a bit - she would muck around in her bed, but now her brother wakes her up he is too little to understand such things so she just sneaks into our bed for a lie around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    would the 4yr old be into some type of reward for staying in bed? our DD1 has a gro-clock and when she first got it she would get rewarded with something small for staying in bed until the 'sun' on her clock appeared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wake at 5am and have done for a loooong time. Before dd came along, I did the 6am shift so up at 4.45 to shower, dress and have coffee to leave at 5.20am, and I did that shift for years too. Is it possible to maybe put a cot mattress next to your bed with a few books, puzzles, soft toys, or other quiet activities for an hour so he is with you and quiet, you can get some shut eye, and bub stays asleep? Worked for my brother.