+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Urgent advice wanted on 'put back' sleep technique

What do you do if he seems to be enjoying himself? Do I just keep going? He's supposed to get bored right?

He's gone from not really caring, to trying to scratch my eyes out (and succeeding in getting my contact) to now grinning from ear to ear.

He's 3 and a bit, by the way and this is fairly new Behaviour. If you try to look his door he gets hysterical and stays that way for hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if he is supposed to get bored or not - he is supposed to realise that no matter what trick the pulls he rule is you are putting him back to bed.

Can you try the 'double edged sword trick'? I had a different 'go the flock to sleep issue' with my 4 year old (so possibly as she is older she could understand consequences better?) but we have the positive behaviour incentive - if you stay in your bed and are quiet then you'll get this reward, and the if you don't stay quietly in your bedroom then this will happen discouragement? So he learns that no matter what he is getting put back to bed, but also if he is a good boy about it he will be rewarded!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tried it... 3 great nights and he is 1 sticker away from his major reward (a little one each day).

It was just now 'come out and the door gets locked' and he did, so the door is locked. I opened it after a minute or two and said. 'last chance, come out again and it's locked for the night' I have NEVER had him come out again after that. I am trying to get away from all this crying at bedtime. And now I have to keep his door locked or he will know that 'last chance' doesn't really mean last chance.

I even laid with him for 10 minutes at the start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and thank you rushed reply because im about to have a breakdown.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd doesn't really respond super well to rewards - she just remembers what was offered up as a reward and when she finally decides that yes she will agree to going to sleep in her bed alone (I'm on night three of this after six months of patting her to sleep) I'm bein called to task for her night catcher fairy to provide her with necklaces and to get her a fish -
    Don't ask but somewhere along the line her and I discussed that big girls that can go to sleep nicely and quietly enough at night are responsible enough to look after fish???

Anyway fingers crossed I'll be at pet shop in a few days, and fingers crossed by he time you've finished reading my post you've at least wk. tonight's battle ...