+ Reply to Thread
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Why don't they make child proof locks child proof?

DD got the lid off the dymadon (sp? Its a form of baby panadol) bottle today and had a swig.

Poor parenting on my behalf but the bottle is s'posed to be 'child proof'.

She's really sick and has been extra needed today (she is generally a needy child so extra needy is alot for me to handle) we made a quick trip to the chemist because we ran out of dymadon which is also the only form of panadol she will actually let me give her. She was holding the box in the chemist and had a total melt down when I took it off her so the lady could scan it. Said melt down was still in full swing when we got back to the car so I thought 'stuff it, have the box, we live 3 blocks away anyway and it's child proof, how much damage can you do'

Well alot apparently.

Out the front of our house waiting at the lights I hear
    'mmm special drink' mumbled from the back seat.

To my shock horror the lid is off and she's taken a swig

WTF

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scary when they do that! DS smashed the lid of euky bear liquid once..that was a fun night in the ED, with a newborn DD and an irritated 16 month old

Did she have much? It may be worth giving poisons info a call

Child proof bottles are only adult proof, Im sure of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yep nothing is child proof not even adult supervision

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS took a swig of anti bacterial hand wash one day from a child proof container. I was in shower when it happened. Put head under water for 30 seconds, look over at him and he's drinking from the bottle. Seriously freaked me out.

Some people are like slinkies. Useless but still give you a laugh when you push them down a flight of stairs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. I can't even get those lids off myself most of the time. I wouldn't think a child could get the lid off either.

Hope she's okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    when DD1 was about 2 she somehow got hold of carpet cleaner (the stuff you put in professional machines, not just the Preen spray on stuff). Walked into her room to fond her covered in it and a massive puddle on the floor. Still don't know how she got it or how she got the lid off (it was a brand new bottle. Luckily we lived next door to the hospital so we ran over and they kept an eyenon her for a while and came to the conclusion she didn't actually drink any. Another time she was about 15 months old and we were staying with my granddad. Didn't realize she could climb onto the dining table where my grandad kept all his medication (he has heart problems and is on several different mess, including blood thinners etc). Went to the toilet, came out to find her sitting on the floor covered head to toe in little pills, with about a million more little pills scatters around her on the floor. Rang the Poisons number and told them the name of the medication, and was told to get an Ambon ASAP as she would start fitting etc very soon! Freaked right out, got to hospital, showed the dr in the ED the bottle of mess and what the poisons lady had said and he laughed. He said the worst that would happen if she did take any was she would pee heaps and possible become a nit dehydrated. So they kept her in for an hour and were satisfied she didn't have any. Little brat.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah she's fine.

The bottle was full to the brim but she did have it up to her mouth, head back, having a drink. I swished my fingers around in her mouth and had a sniff (was as much as I could do in 3 lanes of traffic) and they smelt like the medicine.

I didn't call poisons or take her to ER as I could see the most she could've had was 3-5 mls (she is allowed 4mls) but she must not of had anywhere near that much as her fever didn't subside and she was still in a feral mood.

Hardest part was waiting 2 hours (to see any effect on her) before I could administer a dose.

I'm still pretty peved that she got the lid off. The child proof label should defiantly be changed to adult proof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    Child proof bottles are only adult proof, Im sure of it!
    Agreed! I swear that if a newborn had big enough hands, they would be able to get into the kid-proof bottles quicker than I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent found a childproof lid on dishwasher powder that works either and yet there is so many kids who end up with permanent damage from swallowing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my older sister used to call her 3 year old son to open the "child proof" bottles that she couldnt open -__-,

It happens to us all,
    Ds has ate some scary stuff too