+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default After school activities

I was thinking today, as you do, that so many children these days do structured activities. Gone are the days when kids would come home from school and just simply go out and play with the neighbours kids etc. It seems so much time and money is spent on getting children's swimming lessons, dance lessons, music lessons, joining sporting clubs or things such as guides and scouts.

I understand that its good to be part of a team/community but I cant help but think kids need to be able to just have good old free unstructured play. Why do we feel the need to enroll our children in so many activities??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's because we can no longer just shut the front door and tell the kids to come home at dinner time. Backyards are smaller. Everything costs money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    when I was a kid I did plenty of structured ( swimming, gymnastics, basketball, guides). but also had heaps pf time at home to play in street!

don't think many people like kids playing in street anymore as there less safe I guess

i don't think having kids on structured activites is a bad thing but it has to be limited! kids still need relaxing time after school and time just to be kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think swimming lessons is vital and a team sport of some kind is a great way to get the kids involved in the community.
    Apart from swimming and one tea sport I dont see the need for anymore activity's.

Out kids are allowed Swimming and one sport of there choice as long as the days of the sports fits our schedules because if 4 kids want to do 4 diff things that overlap on the same day then its impossible.

Also if they quit a sport/activity after uniforms and fees are paid then they wont be able to do something else till the next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think it's because we can no longer just shut the front door and tell the kids to come home at dinner time. Backyards are smaller. Everything costs money.
    I agree, most people these days dont feel safe letting the kids just run off in the neighbour hood anymore.
    Unless you live rural or in a small town.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My god, I feel sorry for families that have like 3+ children and they all want to do activities. Would end up costing a fortune.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarberry For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I struggle with this all the time. I recently had to brave the cold and swim at a pool party with my kids because none of them can swim, (all under 5 years old) and the looks of I got when I said they couldn't swim was astounding! When I was at School, swimming was part of the curriculum, so we didn't do it out of School hours etc. I realise how important it is, but I didn't know my kids were in the minority until the other day.

I also have 3 girls and shock, horror none do dancing or gymnastic lessons which seems to astound people also.

I am now starting to question am I doing something wrong, as in, should I have the girls enrolled in all these extra activities (bar playgroup/gym) that we go to. I always think of how much fun and carefree my 'unstructured' play was as a child and loved that my parents just went with the flow and didn't have to play taxis all weekend or school afternoons taking us to our respective activities.

I am not undermining the fact that extra curricular out of school activities/sports etc can be beneficial, but I do place a lot of importance of children being able to entertain themselves and forge friendships and play without the need for it to be structured etc.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (07-02-2012),Solarberry  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I seriously dread the day when my DD wants to do an activity that pretty much involves me driving to and from and never having a saturday to myself again, lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarberry For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarberry View Post
    I seriously dread the day when my DD wants to do an activity that pretty much involves me driving to and from and never having a saturday to myself again, lol.
    Me too, as every weekend I drive past a big sports Oval and see all these parents sitting there in the blazing sun or freezing cold (depending on the season) and think how glad I am that's it's them and not me! Though, I know this may change in future, so I have already told DH that will be his domain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarberry View Post

Gosh how true that is! We have just pulled DS out of his basketball team because training clashes with his hours at high school (who trains at 4pm!?) and the other training day clashes with his school sport training (compulsory once a week 3.40-4.40pm). Its not like he is missing out on sport so we pulled the plug... Im SO excited to have Saturdays back! We can go shopping and have lunch like normal people

DD does dancing and cheer..she does 3 classes a week but thankfully they all fall back to back on the same night, and parents aren't permitted to stay in her age group, so I drop her off and go. Love it

We have far too many idiot hoons in our street (think skylines, dirt bikes and bombs form the 80s with $4000 stereos and $3000 rims ) that scream up and down at all hours, when we go for walks I have panic attacks that they will end up on the footpath and kill us!