+ Reply to Thread
    Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is it normal?

Is it normal to get an 8 cell embryo to put back in?

I had my first ever ET yesterday and they transfered what they kept calling a 'perfect' 8 cell, 3 day embryo.
    I only got 5 eggs, 4 of which fertilised and my FS told me multiple times how good they were, so I guess that it a good thing right?
    I also have 3 to freeze.

I guess I am just worried that it is normal to get an 8 cell in the lab, but it all goes downhill when it gets transfered.

Actually, I'm not sure what I'm trying to ask now, but if you understood the first part, I would appreciate an answer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Disney,

8 cells for a Day 3 embryo is perfect! My embryo's were day 3 yesterday and I quizzed the embryologist what they should be. She said 7 cells at Day 3 is normal, anything more is a bonus! We luckily have nine still going strong but they are growing them to Day 5 for PGD and I don't get a transfer this month as the PGD results take 2-3 weeks to come back.

Good Luck, you have a perfect one on board

Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Scruffy!

May I ask what PGD is? I thought I knew all of the abreviations, but this one must have slipped through!

Also, I have to call the embryologist today to see if my other 3 embys are good enough to freeze this afternoon. If some of them have 'died off', is it any indication of how the little one they transfered would be going?

I can't remember if she said they were all 8 cell, but she said they were all good.

Oh, and another question...

Is there any reason why they choose to put back a day 3 or 5? I probably should have asked yesterday but didn't think of it.
    Last edited by Disney Baby; 07-02-2012 at 12:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Disney,

PGD is preimplantation genetic diagnosis. I am using it because I have a balanced translocation and at risk of having some embryo's with too little or too much DNA. My new clinic use a process called CGH which screens for all chromosomal abnormalities.

The fact that some may have 'died off' is no indication of the quality of the others. The lab will have chosen the best looking one to put back in. As for Day 3 or Day 5, it just depends on clinic preference. I think the debate is still out if one if preferable to the other!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Disney. You have nothing to worry about. We only had 3 fertilized eggs this cycle. I had 2 transferred on day 3, a compacting 8 cell embryo and a 7 cell. The 3rd embryo didn't make it to freeze. I am currently pregnant, so it can happen for you too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just bringing this thread up again (sorry, I have been bringing up my old threads today) because I have a few more questions...

Scruffy said that they choose the best one to put back in...well I found out that 2 of them are 8 cells, and the other is 9 cells. I asked why they didn't put the 9 cell back in first and she said "that's a good question!" and continued to give me an answer, but I can't remember now.

Also, just wanted to say that my first embie was definately perfect, but too perfect for earth as I lost the pregnancy early on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry for your loss. Big hugs.

Perhaps the other embryo reached 9 cells after they had transferred the other one?