+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to donate baby items to orphanages...

Hi all!

Im due to have my first baby very soon - the baby has been completely and utterly spoilt beyond belief. Im conscious in the back of my mind that there are so many families and children out there with nothing, where I am sure that I have way too much! Im drowning in things!

Does anyone know of an orphanage that accepts donations of new baby clothing (most still with tags), toys, products, etc? Im happy to absorb the postage costs.

Or alternatively, an organisation in Australia that works with refugees, young mums or women in need who would accept the same?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    try posting on gumtree you will be helping people in your own area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you thought about contacting the red cross or salvos? They may be able to give you details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your suggestion so far, appreciated.

I dont really want to list on a place like Gumtree, as I want to make sure the stuff is really going to people in need, I would hate for the stuff to be sold or similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    Have you thought about contacting the red cross or salvos? They may be able to give you details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From my experiences stuff has to be in perfect condition or will not take and more interested in money donations which I understand as just because you are in need does not mean you necessarily want second hand nor should you have to take it

We gave clothes to the local children's hospital to be used for in emergencies for families with sick children that could not get home or in the social work department

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try looking up the flood assistance relief for QLD..many have lost everything again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contacting a local church might also be a good way to go. I've donated food and new clothing to my local Salvos church (not to the store) so it goes directly to families without going through the store.

ETA - Have you seen this site before? I'm sure there are homeless mums with babies who'd be eternally grateful for some clothes for their LO.
    Last edited by Berrie; 07-02-2012 at 12:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    GIVIT is a good website. I also know children's hospitals are always looking for toy donations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think we have orphanages as such these days and the government spends a lot on wards of the state to ensure their material needs are met.

I'd approach a church group, relief fund, or find a flood affected family with one on the way or a newborn.

Is there a 'Womens Refuge' style of organization here? For women escaping domestic abuse? That was my charity of choice when donating household and baby goods.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope I'm not too late, but if u are in Sydney there is a wonderful organisation called the Dandelion Support Network that could really use your donations of unwanted goods. They give big items such as cots, prams, bassinets, car seats etc as well as all the little things like clothing, blankets, sheets and wraps to women and families in need. They work through local hospitals and organisations to really get to the people who need help. They would be so grateful for your donation. And anyone else who would like to donate anything Web site is http://www.dandelionsupport.org/ ( i hope I'm allowed to put that here?) otherwise try google, or they are also on Facebook.