+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    No I don't. Not since I discovered the alcohol cooking off was a myth.
    Yes quite worrying the parents that aren't concerned about it really.
    Have to say I'm flabbergasted and hope some of the comments on here are not for real such as a small amount of alcohol doesn't harm children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Yes, I find it helps them sleep.

OMG! I have tears in my eyes

AFM - Nope, no alcohol in food here.. I hate alcohol in cooking so never use it..(Im that pain in the butt at restaurants who orders everything without the wine..they probably spit in my food )

They may have had it with their FOB but unlikely as he generally fries everything he feeds them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Yes quite worrying the parents that aren't concerned about it really.
    Have to say I'm flabbergasted and hope some of the comments on here are not for real such as a small amount of alcohol doesn't harm children
    I can actually understand people saying the amount of alcohol is negligible. 4-85% is left depending on cooking time, preparation, and then the amount given to kids out of the whole batch might be quite small. Plus some foods have tiny traces of alcohol like vanilla essence (or is it extract?) and they're still considered okay. I think its something parents can judge for themselves since they know how long they cook for etc.

Just saying, for me, I don't use it anymore. For one thing, I don't cook for long. Not patient enough, hehe.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (07-02-2012),naebie  (07-02-2012),smallpotatoes  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep. Like in Spaghetti Bolognese which I make in bulk. 2kg of mince plus everything else, 1 cup of wine and it is on the simmer for 4 hours or more.

As far as I'm concerned, there is less alcohol left in that, than in lemon lime and bitters which is the "pregnant woman's" drink.

Seriously in an adult serving of food cooked with alcohol, there is like 0.1ml of alcohol (based on a 1 cup of alcohol and 2 hrs cooking time, which lets face it, is average cooking time for recipes that use alcohol) so if my DD eats 1/8 of what I eat, then the amount she would ingest would make her OJ as alcoholic as my glass of wine compared to what's in her dinner.

WooHoo! Another iphone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep my 2 year old loves red wine and garlic chicken

Some people are like slinkies. Useless but still give you a laugh when you push them down a flight of stairs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Never cook with it, but my toddler likes a splash of kahlua in his after dinner affogato

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (07-02-2012),kalgirl  (07-02-2012),meljemillie  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes I do feed my kids stuff cooked with alcohol as previously posted, the amount is negligible, and no. Ore than most fruit juices. Mind you my kids rarely get fruit juice, one cup at night with their dinner.

I also see cooking with alcohol is a very different action than letting kids drink/taste alcohol.

Mind you, my kids are 8 and 10, whereas I probably wouldn't give a food cooked with alcohol to a very small child

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would have to prise the french vanilla extract (64%) from my cold, dead hands before I gave up baking with it. Can you imagine a childhood bereft of pikelets, cakes, custards and homemade biscuits that contained vanilla? Sadder than sad.

Or creme brulee? OMG, please don't outlaw the eating of creme brulee!
    Will no-one think of the children?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (07-02-2012),Boobycino  (07-02-2012),naebie  (07-02-2012),smallpotatoes  (08-02-2012),Von Zipper  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We use about equal quantities to sauce jar in bolongnaise sauces I let it simmer quite a while hoping it cooks off but yes we serve it to dd and my younger brother

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Yes I do regularly. I do a lot of slow cooking and add wine to it. I'm not concerned. If I was doing a flambé that would be a different story, I wouldn't give DS any. But I don't really feel the need to be flambéing at home lol.
    Hehehe sorry had to giggle at you no need for flambéing at home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast