+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i've found them useless. i have had to register a couple of times. i have one appointment and then they don't contact me again, ever. i have to report jobsearching directly to the centrelink office. waste of space, i tell you. they provide phones, a printer, internet, but so does the centrelink office. i honestly don't see the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another single mum who found them useless!

I was made to join after losing my job and all they did was force me to look for work within their office for one hour a week, despite the fact I had already applied for over 20 jobs that week and had tonsillitis at the time.

When I found a job on my own they then hounded both me and my employer, trying to take credit for something they had nothing to do with, yet when I unfairly lost my job, they didn't want a bar of me other than setting me up again on their books and forcing me to go to their stupid weekly job search hours.

I have asked for funding on courses and clothes (went from home office job to big time builder, needed nicer clothes) and they would not offer me anything as I had already been working since DD was 1 1/2 so it shouldn't of been that hard for me, apparently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My partner has worked in job network for 10 years, in various offices and almost every role.

It's not a perfect system, but I don't know if the old CES system was much better.

The flaws I see are:

- the job network providers mostly recruit admin type staff on low wages to start with, and then train them. Given the challenging clients, they work with, I think some tertiary qualifications (social work/psych/human services) or some more life experience would help

- they only have motivation to help job seekers depending on what category they are in after having been assessed by Centrelink. they get different payments from the government on different ******s. I think ****** 1 is people who have just gone on the dole, and they just get a very small sign up fee and nothing or not much else, so there is no financial incentive to provide services. Whereas someone in a higher ****** (long term unemployed, people with mental illness or other significant barriers) (I think ****** 4 is the highest) will be able to access extensive services, including a psychologist. the problem is that sometimes people don't disclose their problems to Centrelink and they get assessed as a lower ******, and it's then hard to move them to a higher ******

- they do sometimes "strongly encourage" people to take a job they don't necessarily want in order to get the person off the books as they only get paid the big fee after the person has been working for x number of weeks. So, for example, somebody might say "oh, it's my dream to be an xzy, will you pay for a course or I will only take xyz job" and the job network person will say "I don't think so, I'm referring you for this job, which you could do, and if you refuse an interview or the job, we'll breach you". In saying that, i think it's better for people to take any job (unless they have an ethical objection) and then find a better one rather than be on the dole

But, a lot of providers are also providing excellent high level services. My partner got frustrated with his limitations as an employment consultant, and is now a psych and does a great job with some extremely challenging clients. so it's not all bad, but there's scope for improvement definitely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think JSP are pretty useless. My DP is long term unemployed due to having no education since highschool, no work for a year and jobs being few and far between where we live (unless you are 15 and can work at Maccas for minimum wage).
    His JSP gave him no help with his resume, no training opportunities and no support. When DD turned 6 months, I found a great parttime job in my field. We swapped roles, him to parenting payments, me to newstart. A week later I found him a government funded TAFE course in finance, which is what he wants a job in. The TAFE course has apparently been running for a few years in our area. I have no idea why his JSP didn't sign him up for it earlier.
    My DP will have a cert 3 in finance next week no thanks to JSPs
    Last edited by nudge88; 07-02-2012 at 19:31.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a employment consultant and yes it is all about money but to say that all we care about is that bottom line I find insulting. I have done pretty much every role in job network and I work damn hard to get everyone of my clients work.

By the sounds of it some of these people have had some really bad luck with their JNM's.

If you have an issue with your JNM'S contact dEEWR and complain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    totally agree with the op. Iv used a job network and found them useless but i thought it was because im a voluntary client so im on the lowest possible ******.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been contemplating all afternoon whether I would reply to this thread. I am the enemy!! Hehe . Please no one attack me! I work for a Disability employment service and have previously worked in job services. I'm so sorry so many people have had bad experiences. I guess all I can say is that you sometimes get referred to a provider with the wrong idea of how to assist people. Unfortunately I see it happen too often. We get daily complaints from people coming from other providers about shoving them into 'any job' and not caring about their circumstances. I like to think I work for a very ethical and supportive company and one of 'the best'. Without saying too much, at the end of the day unfortunately an employment consultant has to earn their job aswell. I am not at all condoning putting people into unsuitable jobs but they are funded by the govt and if people don't get jobs, they don't have jobs either!
    I love my job! I work in mental health/disabilities and we do have more resources available than ****** services. We also all have tertiary education/ high level certs in the relevant fields but unfortunately at the end of the day it is still about making money. I don't look at it like that thouGh and I know alot of other consultants don't look at it like that either. Often we get stuffed around by centrelink and are left with a disgruntled customer who has been told we can give them the world on a plate. We are often on the reviving end! I have been to the end of my limits and back my clients and would do it all again for anyone who is motivated and genuinely wanting to work. I'm not going to voice too many opinions here but I just wanted to say that not all employment consultants are horrible!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the terrific responses! I am heartened by them but I want to stress I'm not out to bag anyone but get some feedback from people who have experienced services from a JNP (sorry, are JSAs and JNMs the same thing?)

OhDear wrote: you only count when you are receiving a payment from centrelink I would love to know the actually REAL unemployment rate it would be HUGE
    It depends on what type of payment you are receiving. When I have my baby, I will not be considered unemployed but a primary carer. I still count but not as unemployed and not for the services described in this thread.

Becandbub wrote: I have a friend who's DP went through similar treatment for over 6 months. Eventually he said I have a baby on the way & my DP says she's going to leave me. If she leaves me, I'm going to kill myself.
    We're worried that our dear friend will attempt it anyway. The amount of obstacles this guy has had to climb has really hit him hard and he's only 45...I don't accept comments made by another poster that he's not trying or that he can easily get a job himself. If you need assistance to obtain employment for whatever reason you should be able to get it. He paid taxes for 28 years and now that he needs the govt he's been left to rot.

MaybeAgain wrote: I was a employment consultant and yes it is all about money but to say that all we care about is that bottom line I find insulting. I have done pretty much every role in job network and I work damn hard to get everyone of my clients work.
    By the sounds of it some of these people have had some really bad luck with their JNM's.
    If you have an issue with your JNM'S contact dEEWR and complain.
    You admit it's all about money and yet you complain about people presuming that you care about the bottom line? Jobseeking should be about people first. Perhaps I work from a different school of thought.

Either way, no one's bagging the employment consultant as such but seeks further imput regarding a specific service offered to specific people in specific circumstances. Bad luck is one thing. Incompetence and apathy is another thing entirely. There is no excuse for the latter and I'm tired of witnessing the effects of this from JNPs on bonafide jobseekers. I think it's very easy to shove someone off to a government department to complain when the jobseeker is not equipped to do so and let's face it we all know they aren't going to listen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been with a few and found them all utterly useless except one which paid for a 5k cert III in business course.

When it comes to finding jobs though? Nope. Every single job I've had has been one I found myself with no help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP has been with one for a year and the only thing they have done is help with "work for the dole" doing lawn mowing. In a year that is the only thing they have done for him, he is happy to do any kind of work and has told them a number of times he would like a job in computers and would volunteer to get some more experience and they still haven't don't anything. He sees them monthly and is in there for about 5 minutes each time, he is getting really depressed about it and whenever we fight it's usually because of this. They are just hopeless and I'm getting fed up with it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (09-02-2012)