+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    at least if you get to a jsa you actually count as unemployed
    I don't count at all get no assistance what so ever no training no nothing like a lot of people that are married and DH earns above the poverty line

you only count when you are receiving a payment from centrelink I would love to know the actually REAL unemployment rate it would be HUGE
    I class myself as unemployed, but the government sees me as providing care to a child, not as unemployed. Also could be why I got no assistance despite being a single parent desperate to work. I was not "meant" to work, therefore any work efforts were voluntary.

DaddyLarge, that's a good explanation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    providing care to a child, not as unemployed. Also could be why I got no assistance
    But you were put into one of centrelink's boxes and counted, got assistance as a single parent until your child reaches a certain age then counted as unemployed later if still looking for work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But you were put into one of centrelink's boxes and counted, got assistance as a single parent until your child reaches a certain age then counted as unemployed later if still looking for work?
    No I receive no assistance as a job seeker because I am not "unemployed" so all I can do is have appointments, if I choose to, and any job search efforts, resume writing, etc is independent of them. Nope, no assistance at all. Only my name on their records sitting there doing nothing. Why did you think I got help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    no I mean centrelink financial assistance, then job assistance follows later when children older and you change categories

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The category changes to Newstart Primary carer as opposed to just Newstart. Technically, they don't have to count newstart primary carer in the job seeker numbers either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

share a book  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    no I mean centrelink financial assistance, then job assistance follows later when children older and you change categories
    Yeah. Lucky me. I get to live below the poverty line while the government tells me I don't need to work so they won't provide assistance. I don't know if I will change categories in the next few years, but I know I need a job, unemployment sucks, it is a terrible place to be, and no matter what they say, I am unemployed. Back to topic, I think they are a rort too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not all of them are bad, they helped me find ine within two days of registering and I never looked back, but having said that a friend of mine was told that she was not allowed to take a job that she found on her own instead of them finding her one as they would loose money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend who's DP went through similar treatment for over 6 months. Eventually he said I have a baby on the way & my DP says she's going to leave me. If she leaves me, I'm going to kill myself. This made them increase his level of support, & he was working 3 weeks later. He'd not had one interview before that. Absolutely attrocious.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all about the government funding for JSA's. Telling people they can't send them for training, certificates or licenses is them not wanting to spend the dollars they get from the government per job seeker, and this funding amount can be substantial, depending on what ****** the job seeker is classified as.

There was a bit of media in December last year about JSA's double claiming and there are many cases where the JSA's claim the placement fee even when the job seeker has found the job themselves through other avenues.

I also know of people that they place in short term contracts so they get a placement fee each time.

It's a very expensive industry that is broke. The system doesn't work.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blackduck For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    unemployment sucks, it is a terrible place to be,
    One thing we can all agree on