+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Job Network Providers - The Biggest Rort Going

Just wanted to write something that has been bothering me for a while.

It's about job network providers. They're the people you are hooked up with through Centrelink when you are looking for work. From what I understand, they are supposed to assist you with finding work and this can happen in many ways.

While I am not presently in a jobseeking position, I know people who are. People who are conscientious, skilled and unskilled men and women who want to work and are being given the runaround by people who appear to me to be unqualified to provide anything other than a cup of tea.

Three men I know in their early forties who, through no fault of their own, find themselves unemployed. Of the two women in a similar position, one is 25, the other is 32. They go in every fortnight as is required and time and time again they sit through mindless seminars, are knocked back for training and are given ridiculous excuses such as: "there's no work in security...and the licence costs $1,000...we can't do that"...or "no, you can't do that as it's too much for your back..." They're not doctors, btw. They just assume that they can't do and won't put them forward.

The women tell me they are shunted into going for admin positions despite the fact that one of them can't type or spell to save herself. She'd rather be doing manual work. But this, she is told, is for men. From the feedback I have been given, the men are written off. Too old. No training subsidies available. Just sit over there in the corner and rot. It's just appalling!

I had one man in tears this morning to my DH on the phone. He's just reaching the end of his tether with the constant disappointment. Before I patched it up, this man has submitted his CV for 45 positions and not one word. His CV, which was done by the JNP, was absolutely atrocious. He attended interview only to find that the JNP had contacted the prospective employer to give this guy's history and to suggest that he be taken on a temporary basis so there was no longer full time work on the table as he'd been led to believe but a short term contract. Why? So that the JNP doesn't lose their funding cut for this guy. Another guy we know says he's just humoured when he goes in. He does the job club where he sits around with other blokes in his position who stay the obligatory hour before heading off home. I asked why they would do this, why they couldn't look through the job section while they were there or something but they need training. They can't afford to pay for TAFE (in SA it is very expensive and you have to apply through the same portal and go through the same process that uni students apply through - it's ridiculous really) and the JNP is supposed to vet them for appropriate training but they are simply led by the nose and told one story after another.

I stress that I am not a jobseeker at present and have never been with a JNP so I'm getting this information secondhand albeit from people I know and consider to be truthful. But for those in here who have, has this happened to you? I just can't believe people are being treated in this way and that these organisations - some of whom have literally raised themselves overnight in order to get a bite of the government's outsourcing cherry - are just using them for money.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've dealt with JNPs since I left school and have never had that treatment! They have always gone above and beyond to get me into the area of employment I want and have been great with training and even paid for many expenses including my driving lessons and driving test. I honestly can't fault my experience with the several JNP I have dealt with.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was with a JNP voluntarily because I have never been in the work force and needed some help with job seeking skills. In the first instance I was told that they could do nothing to help me besides write my CV. I went back to centrelink and told them that there was no point in being tied to a JNP if they couldn't help me, and was then given a questionnaire which put me into a "higher" category, so that I could get some more help.

The actual people I dealt with at the JNP were friendly and nice, and did give me some good advice, but it was frustrating to be wanting to get help to get a job and being told that they couldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear LilMiss. Do you think it's an age thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    JSA's get more government funding for finding people jobs! It's in their best interest that the job seekers find a job......putting people thru things like job club, training, etc is there to help them. And the people who are put in these types of programs are the ones who don't put forward other alternatives- after someone has been unemployed for an extended period of time (I think it's 3 months?) & have been receiving benefits for this time, they are then required to do more intensive activities in order for Centrelink to still pay them. People can nominate their own activities (ie. volunteer work, training, etc). If the job seekers don't choose their own activities, then that's when the job service provider has to step in & put them through a program.

Also, it's not up to the providers to get people jobs, people need to take accountability for their own careers-- the job services people are there to give resources, training, support to job seekers--but ultimately people need to help themselves.

IMO Blaming job services providers is an easy cop out for those people too lazy to find themselves a job, or at least too lazy to at least try to help themselves in some way shape or form.

(note--i know that last comment is a massive generalization, and there are people out there who sadly have lost their job through no fault of their own & desperately make an effort to find something---but in my experience, those people actively find ways to help themselves & are not the ones forced into other activities by the providers).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it could be an age thing, my uncle who is 55 is with a JNP and in that time has not been supported to gain employment, instead he's just pushed in and out for appointments, so they can get money.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never had assistance from them. In fact, I have found work on my own while being linked with them and found it was better not to tell them my place of employment. The one time I told them, they rang to confirm I had a job there, notified centrelink who also rang to confirm hours then called 3 more times over the fn to ask if I was turning up! I've never NOT turned up (other than me or dd being sick, which is rare) but because I was still in the probation period the new employers called me into the office and told me how centrelink rang, and how often the job network rang (dd was 2, I was not obligated to work) and that they need people who are committed to work, not people who turn up so they can collect their "dole cheque" each week. I was so mad, and only by chance another place I applied at rang to offer me a job so I left one then started at the other with nothing more than just the weekend off. I took payslips to centrelink, told them they contributed to my loss of employment so tell me what to provide and I will provide it, but begged them not to call, or at least wait a few months first. I ignored the job network. Called to tell them I have a different job but refused to tell them where. They were of no assistance when I was looking, but wanted to take credit when I found a job, then caused me to be out of work again.

On another occasion, I went to a different place, told them I was working 28 hours a week but it was only casual, they would only put me on permanent if I went full time but I only had 2 days of afterschool care at the time. He told me to increase her days, I told him she is on waiting lists but there is no available care. I then asked for assistance in finding permanent work doing the hours I was doing. He then told me that people like him pay tax so people like me can live out of his pocket then told me to find other arrangements for my dd (then 5) and go ft where I was. He was aggressive in the way he spoke to. Reports were made, and it must have been a regular thing because he was put off.

So as you can see, I find them to be useless as tits on a bull myself, and I don't avoid working, and I am not lazy. I'm sorry your friends were treated like that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012),Pinkzy  (08-02-2012)

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A few years ago, I as speaking to someone who was the director of an organisation that ran a number of these job network places.

She explained it as a numbers game. They get paid a certain amount for each job seeker they put into employment, with extra payments for those in different categories - long term unemployed, over a certain age etc.

Their business model relies on them making an assessment of the person when they first walk in. If someone walks in an they believe that it will cost more to make them employable than the government will pay, they basically half-**** it. Even if the job seeker is persistent, dedicated and keen, they are essentially a losing proposition for the provider. They also don't necessarily match the best person to each available job - if you walk in there and could fill a heap of different positions, they could very possibly not give you the job that you want if that job could be easily filled by someone else. They'll give you the hard-to-fill job, and save the easier-to-fill jobs for those who couldn't do anything else, even if you might be a better candidate.

On the other hand, if someone has been out of work for a while and has no real impediment to work, they'll move mountains to help. They're the cash cows of the industry.

I get why the providers would work that way, but if nothing else it shows that some things shouldn't be privatised.

But this was a few years ago. Maybe things have changed since...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    at least if you get to a jsa you actually count as unemployed
    I don't count at all get no assistance what so ever no training no nothing like a lot of people that are married and DH earns above the poverty line

you only count when you are receiving a payment from centrelink I would love to know the actually REAL unemployment rate it would be HUGE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (07-02-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've had two separate occasions of having to use the JNP system. The first was at age 25, when I had just moved interstate and couldn't find a job for 6 month. First appointment was told that they couldn't help me because I was employable and next time, bring a book. Still have to show up for appointments of course.

I also have to attend appointments now, despite studying full time and not looking for work. These appointments are simply 'are you still studying, yes, good, see ya'. Pretty much wastes my time and their time but it is a requirement set out by Centrelink.