+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rental Property Question

Hopefully someone out there can answer this.

Can a landlord use an unqualified tradesperson to attend to something that requires maintenance on their property; ie an air-conditioner?

Also, must that person be a sub contractor with their own insurance or an employee rather than a 'volunteer' (non employee)?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As long as its not breaking any laws, they can use who ever they want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Caviar,

I self-managed my investment property and my DH used to fix quite a few of the things that went wrong (leaky taps, hot water system on the blink etc) - he's not a tradie, just really handy! So no, I don't think there is anything that dictates that maintenance needs to be performed by a qualified person, it would be the owner / property managers choice.

However, if the item isn't fixed correctly, then you can request it be looked at again - the quality and effectiveness of the job is a totally separate issue. Particularly with things like air-con, if its stated in your lease that part of the arrangement is the property having working air-con.

As for insurance, in what context are you wondering? Ie. if the air con blows up? Or if the guy does something dodgy while you're there? I would strongly recommend you have full contents insurance - you are not in charge of the repair and your insurer would need to pay you out (check policy of course) and then seek the costs from the landlord / their insurer / the dodgy air con man etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well no, they can't use anyone they want for everything. I do know that they must use a licensed electrician for anything electrical.

With the other thing, it's an insurance issue. If the person hurts themselves on the property, the renter is liable. If the air-con causes injury it's the volunteer's liability and he can be sued. I just wanted to check this.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I hate to sound rude, but if you knew it all then why even ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to say the same thing regarding anything electrical- it must be done by a licensed electrician. This includes putting in new powerpoints, wiring, air conditioners. It is also a legal requirement (in NSW at least) that all rental properties must be fitted with a RCD (similar to a circuit breaker).

I would assume that you would not be found liable for injury if it occured, it should fall on the person who brought them into the house? Thats purely speculation though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    Well no, they can't use anyone they want for everything. I do know that they must use a licensed electrician for anything electrical.

With the other thing, it's an insurance issue. If the person hurts themselves on the property, the renter is liable. If the air-con causes injury it's the volunteer's liability and he can be sued. I just wanted to check this.

Thanks again.
    Hence why I said they can use anyone they want as long as its not breaking any laws.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yikes, I hope that's not the case. My landlords rarely send over anyone qualified, it's always a friend/family member. I can't see why I'd be liable, we never give permission for an unqualified person to attend, it's just cheap landlords who won't do things properly.

I do think that if you are paying rent for an air conditioned house, they have to ensure that it's working properly. You shouldn't be left without essentials.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our landlords are cheap! Sent someone over t put a new toilet in and it took him 9 hrs!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I hate to sound rude, but if you knew it all then why even ask.
    I thought that was pretty obvious why I was asking Because if it applies to electricity, does it apply across the board? I have some that say yes and others that say no. Perhaps I should just go and get some legal advice.

Thanks everyone.