+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    I think what I'm most frightened of now is...what happens if Neocate doesn't fix the problem? Is there a next step?
    I was worried about exactly the same thing. Giving up BF was very traumatic for me and I was so worried that the problem would continue. But Neocate really has been brilliant. It helps their tummies heal.

I was told it's also not as heavy as normal formula so they may need to feed more frequently than normal FF bubs. DD fed 3 hourly at least until recently.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm back DD1 has CMPI and the symptoms have been gradually dropping off. As a baby her whole face would turn red, hives & welts, swollen eyes, sometimes upper chest too... and vomiting if it was raw dairy.

Now at 4.5 if she has processed dairy (eg "milk solids" in the ingredients, she gets a bit red around her mouth... and she will still vomit if given milk/cheese/yoghurt etc.

At the last visit, our allergist told us the current thinking is that (guessing figures but you'll get the gist) 50% of kids grow out of it by they are two, and the remaining 50% gradually grow out of it, by the time they are 16, only 5% are still allergic.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and BTW dd1 is also wheat intolerant, and some additives (unsure exactly but definitley flavour enhancers & MSG)... we didn't discover the cmpi until 7mo and wheat only last year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    First bottle of Neocate and DS2 has now been asleep for 2.5 hours. This is his longest day sleep in ages. He has been sleeping only around 45 minutes to 1 hour tops due to pooing waking him up constantly. Good sign!
    Yay! You won't know what to do with yourself! When DD started sleeping well I found myself hovering at the stairs expecting to hear her cry lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 is 3 years old. He was able to tolerate hard cheese, yoghurt and dairy in cooking by about 18 months old. He still can't have straight milk, icecream or cream. However, he does have other bowel issues that might be the reason why he still can't tolerate certain things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    HiCan someone tell me how they know/found out kids are dairy/cows protein intolerant?My 4mo has these symptoms which I suspect lactose int- white lumps in her poo- poor day sleeps constantly thrusting her legs and cramping like cramping in her gut- wind both ends a lot even hours after feeds- vomits a little but not a great deal- recently wouldn't drink milk for 2 weeks only took 30mls per bottle now is back to 100mls- constant blocked nose and mucus in her nose

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbird View Post
    HiCan someone tell me how they know/found out kids are dairy/cows protein intolerant?My 4mo has these symptoms which I suspect lactose int- white lumps in her poo- poor day sleeps constantly thrusting her legs and cramping like cramping in her gut- wind both ends a lot even hours after feeds- vomits a little but not a great deal- recently wouldn't drink milk for 2 weeks only took 30mls per bottle now is back to 100mls- constant blocked nose and mucus in her nose
    My DD (and now my DS) was/is dairy soy intolerant.

For my kids, the biggest indicator (besides their reflux) was the mucousy green poo (sometimes with blood in it). They would also scream for hours with tummy cramps if I accidentally ate even a trace of dairy or so while I was feeding them.

My DD's paed gastroenterologist said to look for 3 symptoms when doing a food challenge (which I assume would be the three things that would identify an intolerance)
    Firstly, reflux flaring up
    Secondly, bowel/ tummy cramps
    And Lastly, mucous in their poo

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbird View Post
    DD was constantly screaming in pain, had poo like bright green sludge (lots of mucous), wasn't gaining much weight and had horrible silent reflux. You can get a stool test done to check for lactose intolerance, otherwise it's really a process of elimination to figure it out. DDs diagnosis was confirmed by seeing how she responded to the Neocate formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My girls were screaming in pain and were really hard to settle. I was told they just had colic and reflux at first. DD2 in particular was very snuffly especially after a bottle and she also used to cough a bit after a bottle at times which then made her throw it all up. No poo symptoms from either of them that we could tell except possibly slightly constipated. They also had rashes around their mouth and with DD2 the rash/spots spread where she had spots on her legs, arms and stomach as well.

I went to yet another Dr who suggested we try eliminating dairy and see what happens. They were much better off the dairy so the Dr said it was definately the problem. I didn't get them officially tested when they were little as our Dr said most babies grow out of it around 12mths. So, when DD2 didn't seem to be getting over it (we did occasional trials) I decided to get her officially tested.