+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How were you diagnosed? Help please!!

I had a gyno appointment today and I'm feeling really down. Not only do I have cin2 cervical dysplasia the gyno thinks I have PCOS based on a blood test. I have 2 more blood tests scheduled now. How did you get diagnosed? I'm feeling really alone with all this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it's not an easy time I know. I had several different appts, blood tests and finally got the diagnosis after about 4mths.

For me the symptoms were; gaining weight despite exercise, increased acne, wasn't/don't ovulate or have periods anymore. I initially got a referral to a gyno because I was worried I had cancer or something sinister!!

In the end PCOS was also an awful diagnosis as it resulted in us needing very expensive ICSI/IVF treatment However it can be well managed and doesn't always require IVF, so try not to let it get you down (hard at first).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

MaybeBabyNo2  (09-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My diagnosis came after rapid weight gain and loss of my period, my GP sent me for an ultra sound and I think I had bloods taken (it's a few years ago now) then referred me to my gyno, the scans showed all the cysts etc.
    Hugs to you hun

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cluky79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine came at age 13 years. Very early af (9 years) irregular and painful heavy af! Dx with ultrasound and bt. Oh and pimples! But what 13 year old doesn't have pimples lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smootch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been having problems with my periods, acne, weight gain, excessive hair for YEARS. I didn't start my period until a month before my 16th birthday - I would get 4 maybe 6 periods a year - then I started getting 1 maybe 3 a year and there were heavy and lasted forever and were painful and flooded everywhere it was awful - I had test after test after test - I even had exploratory surgery still nothing just kept being told 'it's just you - some women are unique' - then I had a burst ovarian cyst that was so bad I needed emergency surgery - then finally a few weeks ago I was told I have PCOS and put on Cyproterone / Cyprostat. The doctor I saw didn't care that my blood results showed no elevated testosterone - I have cysts on my ovaries and what he considers excessive hair growth and that's enough apparently. And I might also have endometriosis.

So yeah rough times.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PennyDark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've also had weight gain that's been hard to shift with exercise over the last 3 years or so. And during this same time my periods have become irregular and more painful. Not so much longer though, most have been very short (18-21 days) and about once a year I miss one. The gyno took that history after telling me I might have PCOS though so i guess there was an indication in the blood test. On the one hand it would be good to finally get answers but on the other it's hard to deal with the idea that there really is something wrong with me. It all feels so invasive too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Maybebaby

I went to my GP with my TTC concerns and he sent me off for a BT. He said my testosterone levels were high and that is an indicator of PCOS.

He referred me to an OB?GYN and she looked at my results and said it is highly sugestive that I have it. I had a scan (good old dildo cam) but that was inconclusive (via GP).

I did 8 cycles of clomid and then went into IVF where my IVF DR confirmed my PCOS. He said I had the PCO not the syndrome. So I think he said the PCO was that I had the irregular AF's, and the cycstic ovaries but not the weight or the other symptoms if that makes sense? I think that It can develop into PCOS but because I had kept my weight down I didn't develop the syndrome.

But now that I have gained weight (thanks to DD2) I could develop the syndrome.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LillyPonds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, for me, the signs have been there for 10 years, I just didn't know it.

Diagnosis wise, I went to my GP with concerns about type 2 diabetes. (family history, get checked every 18 months)

A GTT showed insulin resistance. A full blood screen showed other hormone abnormalities. At the appointment I mentioned about my horrible chin/jaw line based acne and random patch of black hairs under my chin, and difficulty shifting this excess 20kg.

Dr explained PCOS, then sent me for an ultrasound - where lo & behold, two enlarged ovaries full of cysts!!!

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    After coming off the pill my periods became very irregular. Initially every 7-8 weeks but sometimes as long as 4 months in between. I was lucky and had no excess weight, hair etc. I went to the doctor who sent me for an ultrasound and blood tests which revealed my symptoms were consistent with PCOS. We weren't TTC but we did get a little lax with contraception and I was pregnant 3 months after my diagnosis.

Guest Guest
    I had irregular periods since day dot, I was diagnosed via ultrasound