+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Group Strep B

I tested positive for Group Strep B during my first pregnancy, but that was over 12 years ago. Does that mean I'll always have it/ be a carrier?
    I was given antibiotics through a drip during labour and everything was fine. I've only had one appointment with a midwife (forgot to mention it) so don't even think I've been tested for it yet.. do they take blood to test or urine? When do they test for it?
    How many others out there have it? I heard it's something like 35%.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a very common organism that can be found in perfectly healthy people. I personally don't see it as a concern...the risk of baby contracting an infection is very low.

You can have it one day and then not the next, so tests are often VERY unreliable. Oh and they test with a swab.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (06-02-2012),~Marigold~  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BMJ and baby. group b strep is a natrually occurring bacteria in the vagina. it can be there one week and gone the next. it is generally tested for with a lower vaginal swab at around 36 weeks. some doctors will treat as if
    strep b pos if you have had it previously. iv antibiotics during labour is the general treatment for this as you said. not all doctors will test for group b strep, some will and some wont, as it could be there one week and it may be gone the next week! hope this helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmo1 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, I remember that swab test now. Ah, all coming back to me

That's good to hear; just read some scary things about what can happen if passed to bubs during birth. Although rare, still.. not nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know someone who's baby contracted gbs and didn't make it, this was in the uk though where they don't screen as a matter of course. It's been absolutely heartbreaking for them, so although gbs is rare, it can happen and antibiotics in labour is a small price to pay for peace of mind and a healthy baby!

Sent from my LT15i

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zzz For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zzz View Post
    I know someone who's baby contracted gbs and didn't make it, this was in the uk though where they don't screen as a matter of course. It's been absolutely heartbreaking for them, so although gbs is rare, it can happen and antibiotics in labour is a small price to pay for peace of mind and a healthy baby!

Sent from my LT15i
    Oh absolutely. I know that although rare, the risks are very real and extreme if left untreated; will definitely have the test and mention that I had it before.
    I wonder why they don't test for it in the UK? It's so, so treatable and to have a poor bub actually die from something so preventable is tragic.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    Oh absolutely. I know that although rare, the risks are very real and extreme if left untreated; will definitely have the test and mention that I had it before.
    I wonder why they don't test for it in the UK? It's so, so treatable and to have a poor bub actually die from something so preventable is tragic.
    Because the test is unreliable and antiobiotics carry their own risks. It means treating thousands and thousands of babies unnecessarily...the very tiny portion of babies who contract it won't get sick from it. An even tinier portion again might contract it AND get sick, but if this occurs the signs are pronounced and antibiotics are given (antiobiotics are a cure, not a prevention, and a lot of medical professionals see it that way as well, hence it is not always standard procedure).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (06-02-2012),~Marigold~  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my ob does iv ab's during labour and an antibiotic shot after birth for all women gbs positive, to my understanding with him once positive always positive, a positive test confirms you carry the bacteria and so even if you test jeg in next pregnancy he will still do antibiotics.

i only had two rounds with ds, was 8 cm dilat

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had it with my first pregnancy but not my second

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    dilated when i arrived, didnt realise i was in labour.

the bacteria is present in 20 percent of childbearing wom

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-02-2012)