+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Unsure, please help! 8(

Hello All!!

Im only new on here & Im looking forward to spending some time learning off other Mothers 8).
    I have a 10 week old Baby Boy, who we just love dearly.
    But he has no routine AT ALL!! I have just gone with the flow as to let him create his own & me flow with it. BUT maybe I have done the wrong thing, as he is just all over the shop. We were giving bottles every 3hrs & in the last two weeks have stretched it out till 4 hourly. But every few days, he will drink 60ml of his 150ml Bottle, then next Feed want 200ml, then next 100ml. We have tried so hard to be consistent with his 150ml 4 hourly but it dosent seem to be working,. He may go two days at 150ml 4 hourly then all of a sudden change himself.. Also his sleep has no routine during the day. One day he will have 4 or 5 Catnaps, the next day he will sleep for a 4 hour stint either side of his morning & afternoon Catnaps... I give up LOL LOL..

Example: Lastnight

7pm 160ml Before Bed, sleep 7.30pm
    12.30am Woke, 210ml
    3.30am Woke, 50ml
    5am Awake
    6.30am 60ml
    PLEASE HELP!! Im feeling very confused as to why he is doing this & how to stop it. 8( 8(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Welcome to bubhub

Yep, completely normal. Bubs will have days when they want to be up & about & seeing lots of things, and days when all they want to do is sleep. That's just how they are for some time. Routine is not necessary and trying to enforce it will just make you upset and not achieve anything productive I'm afraid.

What you should aim for is the 'feed - play - sleep' 'routine' which means bubs gets a feed, then a play (which is for longer & longer as they age) and then as soon as bubs appears tired, it's time for sleep. But it sounds like that's what you are doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep he sounds very normal Its hard to go with their cues when theyre that young because a lot of the time its all over the place but the best way is to just go with it. DS was exactley the same n at 5 months old he has well and truly grown out of it thankfully.

Its a difficult time I know but bubs is new to all of this too, dont stress you look like youre doing a great job And again Dont stress about routine at this point, just do what works, there is a light at the end of the tunnel

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Welcome to bubhub

Yep, completely normal. Bubs will have days when they want to be up & about & seeing lots of things, and days when all they want to do is sleep. That's just how they are for some time. Routine is not necessary and trying to enforce it will just make you upset and not achieve anything productive I'm afraid.

What you should aim for is the 'feed - play - sleep' 'routine' which means bubs gets a feed, then a play (which is for longer & longer as they age) and then as soon as bubs appears tired, it's time for sleep. But it sounds like that's what you are doing.

I agree, Relax, i am sure you are doing agreat job

Thanks
    Reviews
    just had to reply, it's totally normal!

feed when hungry, you don't have to wait longer between feeds if bubs is hungry, whether breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, give bubs what you feel they need.

also have you heard of wonder weeks and growth spurts? It's normal to go through more wakeful/hungry/sleepy times etc too

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...np=122&id=2312

some ppl will tell you about routine books they use, which may work for them, but don't feel pressured into following that path if it doesn't feel right for you.

personally they didn't feel right nor work for us and our bub, so we went with the flow... it was a good 6 months before any kind of 'normal' set in.

I also found my swing a lifesaver for when bub was unsettled in the evenings

good luck, keep doing what you're doing, it gets easier
    Last edited by Square777; 06-02-2012 at 20:36. Reason: dodgy typing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally normal (well in my case anyhow). DD is almost 17 weeks and she's incredibly erratic. One night we had a 6.5 hour stretch and the next night she was up every hour. She keeps us on our toes!

I agree with PP, don't feel pressured to follow any routines, if you don't feel they work for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, completely agree that this is normal. I always followed the Sleep, feed, play routine at this age. I never watched the clock. Rather, follow his cues. Especially when it comes to sleep. When he starts to show tired signs, put him to bed. When he wakes, give him his bottle then have some 'up' time. It wont be long before you see his sleep cues again. At this age, its literally within the hour that he will show tired signs again.
    From what i remember, i was doing 4 hourly feeds and my DD was have different quantities all the time. Bubs will take what he needs depending how how hungry he is. But if you just keep to the simple 'Feed, play, sleep' routine, he will sort himself out in no time.
    This worked for me with my 1st bub. We're expecting #2 in May and im going to do exactly the same routine again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like other pp's, this sounds normal.

When I feel a bit out of control, I keep a diary of what my DS is doing when. So I note down on a whiteboard that we have in the kitchen what time he eats (and how much if a bottle feed), then what time he is put down to sleep and how long for. If you do this for a few days I'm sure you will find that your day follows a similar pattern most of the time - i.e my DS at 10 weeks mostly liked to sleep longer in the morning and have shorter naps in the afternoon. I found that knowing this helped me to plan my day and feel a bit more in control, while still following DS's cues instead of a strict routine by the clock.

Of course, as soon as I had worked out what he was doing, he would change again, but that's just what they like to do to keep you on your toes :-)