+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    I think it would depend on your diagnosis. It's really worth getting an internal scan to be sure. I actually had 1 internal scan many years ago and the GP said, nope don't have pcos. Then all these years (and pimples later!) the fs scanned me on day 6 of my cycle and there they were - clear as day. I was in complete shock and also upset that no other doctor had diagnosed me properly.

You do have to get the dosage correct and start off slowly. I am currently on 4 tablets a day (2 morn, 2 night) but I am cycling thru ivf so my fs tries to keep it as much under control as possible. When you first start on them it isn't pleasant. I would get upset tummies alot. And the key was to stay on one tablet until my tummy adjusted then add another tablet, and so on.

Good luck. It might not be the answer for you, but worth exploring with your doctor.
    Thanks heaps Was the upset tummy the only side effect? I am very sensitive to new medicine so need to be careful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another interesting point is my pcos improved quite noticeably on the internal scan since I had a baby. Apparently pregnancy/birth can help correct it. Which is ironic really, given that so many women can't fall pregnant because of their pcos

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found the thing that gave me the biggest improvement was a low gi diet - just as metformin regulates insulin levels, as does a low gi diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    Thanks heaps Was the upset tummy the only side effect? I am very sensitive to new medicine so need to be careful.
    Yep just runnin' too the loo when something didn't agree! But that does clear up once your body adjusts. I was like that on one tablet at the start and now I down 4 per day with no issues. Its Also important that you take them with food too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't get any side effects from Metformin. I took the XR (extended release?) one at a lowish dose (started on 500mg per day, then up to 1000mg I think).

I'm actually having a blood test this week to see if I should go back on it after having my baby a year ago.

Also my old FS got me to keep taking metformin for the first trimester of pregnancy. Apparently it reduces risk of miscarriage (for pregnancies where mum was already taking it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I didn't get any side effects from Metformin. I took the XR (extended release?) one at a lowish dose (started on 500mg per day, then up to 1000mg I think).

I'm actually having a blood test this week to see if I should go back on it after having my baby a year ago.

Also my old FS got me to keep taking metformin for the first trimester of pregnancy. Apparently it reduces risk of miscarriage (for pregnancies where mum was already taking it).
    Yep I am on the exact same one as you and sounds like our fs's are on the same page with staying on it for first trimester!

Thanks
    Reviews
    pinkzy, with my sisters weight and pcos I should explain lol, one was around 65kg and 169cm when she was having huge cysts and problems, and she went down to 55kg-58kg at the moment and also goes to the gym and runs every day now. So she wasn't overweight at all, and is classed as slightly underweight now, but it's just what made her symptoms go away. She also had zero periods and now they are very regular for the first time in her life. The other was only 68kg at 180cm when she had her symptoms and no period, and now she is 60kg and period is regular and no cysts.

On the other hand I am very overweight and had no symptoms that were bothering me until I went into my almost obese category this past year . SO it seems that for me I am a little better being only slightly overweight and normal weight, but my sisters had to go to underweight (not on purpose, and they look healthy, just in terms of BMI) to have their periods come back and no cysts since they lost the weight.

Seems like zero fat percentage can help I'm doomed!! lol