+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hmm i dont have pcos .... but i found coconut oil perfect you rub it on and wipe it off and my skin was awesome my friend who doe have pcos used it and it worked woinders for her also i know it sounds kind of out there though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    Just to clarify the diabex/metformin isn't an ivf drug, it's a pcos and diabetic drug but obviously for anyone going thru ivf, it helps keep the pcos under control.
    Really it's only a diabetic drug, they just use it a lot for women for pcos to keep their weight down as this is a big factor when managing pcos. I was involved in a uk trial when I was 13 of the effects on pcos. I got so sick as the dose was far too high and was not gradually introduced. That was 20 years ago! Omg I feel old lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    Really it's only a diabetic drug, they just use it a lot for women for pcos to keep their weight down as this is a big factor when managing pcos. I was involved in a uk trial when I was 13 of the effects on pcos. I got so sick as the dose was far too high and was not gradually introduced. That was 20 years ago! Omg I feel old lol
    Metformin helped my PCOS symptoms and gave me a regular menstrual cycle. My FS put me on it after testing me for insulin resistance. I was never overweight either so it does work well with non-overweight PCOS women too

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have trouble with my weight though? I eat well and exercise and most weeks I'll lose between 500g-1kg so I don't think it's affecting my weight. Would they still prescribe Metformin do you think?

I've been researching the pill and I really, really don't want to go on it. There's surely got to be a natural way of combating this? or if I need anti-biotics or something then surely they don't have to be taken in conjunction with the pill?

Has anyone here tried Accutane? The side effects look horrendous..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No it's not just to keep the weight down. I am petite and around 58kgs, no excess hair and slight pcos. The acne was the only pcos symptom. You will probably find the use of this drug has changed over the years as they're found more uses for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree they find new uses for drugs all the time. Very interesting to hear how it is helping with ppl with not many symptoms of pcos. 20 years is a longtime or changes to occur. Good to hear its helping anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    I don't have trouble with my weight though? I eat well and exercise and most weeks I'll lose between 500g-1kg so I don't think it's affecting my weight. Would they still prescribe Metformin do you think?

I've been researching the pill and I really, really don't want to go on it. There's surely got to be a natural way of combating this? or if I need anti-biotics or something then surely they don't have to be taken in conjunction with the pill?

Has anyone here tried Accutane? The side effects look horrendous..
    I think it would depend on your diagnosis. It's really worth getting an internal scan to be sure. I actually had 1 internal scan many years ago and the GP said, nope don't have pcos. Then all these years (and pimples later!) the fs scanned me on day 6 of my cycle and there they were - clear as day. I was in complete shock and also upset that no other doctor had diagnosed me properly.

You do have to get the dosage correct and start off slowly. I am currently on 4 tablets a day (2 morn, 2 night) but I am cycling thru ivf so my fs tries to keep it as much under control as possible. When you first start on them it isn't pleasant. I would get upset tummies alot. And the key was to stay on one tablet until my tummy adjusted then add another tablet, and so on.

Good luck. It might not be the answer for you, but worth exploring with your doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am I still right in remembering that they used to think women with pcos have a higher increase of developing diabetes later in life? Or have they re thought that? Tbh I don't treat my pcos and haven't since needing IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes that's right re: diabetes. They've learned that PCOS can have a lot to do with insulin resistance, which is kind of like a precursor to type 2 diabetes.

My old FS who has retired has written material on the topic. It explains a lot...

http://main.posaa.asn.au/files/PCOS%20Guide.pdf

Also, when I took Metformin I was advised by the FS to follow a low GI diet. This worked really well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am I still right in remembering that they used to think women with pcos have a higher increase of developing diabetes later in life? Or have they re thought that? Tbh I don't treat my pcos and haven't since needing IVF.
    Yeah I think that is still correct to a degree because its all linked with your body's ability to control/make insulin? It's all a bit confusing, but what I do know is that my pcos is mostly controlled because of my weight. So if I put on a crap load of weight as I age, my pcos will most likely get worse and then I think it's like a domino affect with sugar levels and insulin etc.