User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Zantac - when is it best to give a bf baby?

Hi, as the title states, am after some advice on when to give Zantac to my 17 week old. He has been prescribed 2ml twice a day. He's very unpredictable with his feeds due to a not so good sleeping pattern. Currently I am giving him a dose before a feed, say 15-20 mins. He is then vomiting after the feed and I know a lot of the Zantac is also coming up too! Also, how long before people start to notice a difference in their babies after starting the medication? Many thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My paediatrician said it was better to give it after a feed as then it has a cooling effect on the way down prior to neutralizing acid coming up. I normall gave DD her Zantac about 5 minutes after a feed. (BF - started on Zantac at 6 weeks)

I can honestly say the difference was almost immediate. She was less chicky and screamy after 2 doses (so 24 hrs)

I hope things get better for you and bubs soon.

WooHoo! Another iphone!
    Purple Monkey Dishwasher! That is all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also try to time his feeds out to 3 hourly and then he will be more predictable and also make it a little easier on you. I couldn't space DD's feeds as she was so young, but she had herself feeding every 2-ish hours at 6 weeks.

If you find he doesn't want to go 3-4 hrs, try giving a dummy to hold him out as the sucking and swallowing saliva will help soothe the acid in his throat.

WooHoo! Another iphone!
    Purple Monkey Dishwasher! That is all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can take a while when starting Zantac, but 20-30mins before a feed I found was best. Hopefully is starts working soon

Yep, it's another iPhone
    Me 24 HE 30
    DS1 17/11/10 (8lb 13oz)
    DS2 8/10/12 (8lb 10oz)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. He feeds every three or so hours and we've also tried block feeding. The vomiting hasn't improved, I'm just getting better at catching it with a cloth before it gets me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. He feeds every three or so hours and we've also tried block feeding. The vomiting hasn't improved, I'm just getting better at catching it with a cloth before it gets me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give reflux meds before a feed. It should start being effective within a couple of weeks.
    Just be aware that the vomiting may not decrease, but the Zantac should stop the acid burn as it comes back up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just give it before a feed. My paed recommended mixing it with EBM and giving it in a bottle 3 times a day. So a feed would start with zantac & EBM, then go straight to a normal BF. There's no way my ds would allow me to wait any period of time from when he was hungry to when a BF would start (my dd won't either - she doesn't have reflux though).

As cindye said Zantac doesn't stop the baby vomiting, just reduces the acid production (and pain) and therefore helps the baby be more settled. If it's just vomiting that you're worried about, then zantac isn't going to reduce that at all I'm afraid. There are some bubs that are what's called 'Happy Chuckers'. My niece was a happy chucker! My poor SIL!

As for how long til improvement - it took nearly a week for my ds to be heaps better on Zantac and that's what my paed said. But, we tried stopping it without success multiple times and usually within about 36 - 48 hours of restarting it I would notice a big difference.

~* ME + DH *~

~* DS - 7 DD - 2.5 *~