+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Severe case of baby blues? I need help please

Hi, I don't know which topic of the forum to go into as I couldn't find one on the "baby blues" I'm having at the moment. Gave birth 6 days ago n now 'm experiencing the worst case of depression/anxiety which is becoming physically and mentally unbearable, I get severe nausea most of the day and can't eat. Please help, i can't take it anymore...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly hugs Hun.

Can you make an Appt to see your gp for tomorrow and go through things with him.

If you are in a major city then there's most likely a mother and baby unit where he can refer you to. It's where you and bub go and stay for a couple of weeks till you get sorted.

If you don't think you can make it through the night to see your gp then go straight to the emergency department or call an ambulance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Do you have any family support around you? Can someone give you a hand to help you out? As pp said please speak to your dr asap and if it gets too much please don't hesitate to go to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel and you need to get some help.
    Are you able to call the hospital you gave birth at? Or even present at the emergency department.
    I hope you come back and check this thread. You have done such a great job identifying how you feel that's going to be a big positive in talking to someone about how you are feeling.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (07-02-2012),scarymarygoldfish  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anxiety is the worst isn't it?

If it makes you feel any better i have been where you describe a very long time ago and can tell you that it doesn't last.

I agree with finding someone to talk to. If i knew you were somewhere in the same city i could reccomend a few lovely counsellors.
    Feel free to pm me if you would like some numbers.

Counselling is all well and good but not all counsellors are warm and being in this fragile state you need a lovely compassionate counsellor not just someone with a great PHD.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to laurea For This Useful Post:

Vic35  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs i hope this is a short term problem and what your feeling passes soon. Xx

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, veronarose! I too can relate to what you are describing. It is "normal" (and I use that term lightly) for most women to feel a little emotional and anxious in the time after birth, but what you are describing sounds a lot more distressing, and should definitely be checked out. The sooner you get some support and possibly treatment, the sooner you are likely to recover. I don't want to alarm you, but women with severe baby blues are more at risk of developing PND, so it is extremely important that you look after yourself in this time.

Here is the depression section of the forum, which contains info about the baby blues, PND and AND. http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...712-Depression

An here is a link on info about the baby blues, from the same area:
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...The-Baby-Blues

I would recommend that you go and see your GP as soon as possible, and tell them exactly how anxious you have been feeling. If they do not take your concerns seriously because it is early days, get a second opinion.

If you have supportive family, friends and a partner around you should let them know that you are finding things challenging. Even catching up on some sleep, getting enough nutrition and getting some "me" time can make things seem more achievable.

However, if you are feeling acutely unwell and are having thoughts of harming yourself or others, I would urge you to present at your local ED.

There are a bunch of women in here who have shared your experience, so please lean on us and know that things DO get better. It might be impossible to believe, but it really is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the advice everyone, last night I went to an after hours GP clinic with hubby n bubs to see if a dr can help, his recommendation was just to increase my current dose of Lexapro (I'm on 10mg). I'm not convinced this is a good solution, particularly since I'm breastfeeding, but also since I don't want to go up in dose then come down later in case I have trouble coming down to the 10mg again.
    I also spoke to the hospital I gave birth at, they suggested I pop in today, which sounds like a good option to me.
    I live in western Sydney.
    I was also told about a clinic in Burwood called St John of God, has anyone tried it?