+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used diggers for a couple of yrs - but in my experience they have kinda lost the plot - i don't know if its beacuse they got too big - but they never seem to have anything in stock, deliveries take for ever if at all adn the prices just keep going up and up.

We swapt to Eden seeds and have been really happy with them.

Ironic that diggers is same state and Eden is in QLD (i think) and we get our Eden deliveries so much quicker and cheaper (and there is no membership fee either)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for rose info CrissyG. This is something for a bit later but it's going in my book of ideas.

Buttoneska - bugger about Diggers. A lady I work with reckons they're great and my sister in law's dad also raves about them, which is why I signed up. However, if they are a pain I'll definitely not persist knowing there can be probs. I looked up Eden seeds yesterday and really liked their planting guide as a helper so I'll keep an eye on what they have to offer too.

Another question....Who grows native trees? Do you water them much if you grow natives or do you let them survive on their own with little love?
    We have a row of 130 natives that our wedding guests planted when we got married last year. (How's that for a cheat's way to get a quick tree line done!!!) Each one has a wooden stake next to it with each guest's name burnt into it so they are very special to us. We have put a dripper line along these ones but now that we are thinking about where to put the next tree line, we're not sure whether to go to this expense again or just let them survive. As I said, we are in a cooler climate with good rainfall generally, but I don't want to waste money on trees that die either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i love the tree idea - it is so lovely

we have planted just over 4,000 trees/shrubs in the last 2yrs - we don't water any of them.

we brought them in tubes (from local place that told us which would grow in our area easily) and included a mixture of different gums, blackwoods, acacia, tea tree, sheoaks, dogwood and other native shrubs.

before we plant them we soak the tubes in seasol for half an hour or so.

we then dig a hole with the manual post diggers (the top bit with the grass comes out in the first dig, then the next dig takes out enough soil for the tree to fit in.

Pop the tree in a back fill it.

We use tree guards (they are about 40cent per guard from member) and keep them in place with the bamboo stakes (we just use the 30cm stakes)

After that they are left on their own.

We always plant before a decent rain is due and do it autumn/winter so they have a chance to get establish before the hot summer.

HTH

eta: we did lose a small percentage, but generally most survive.

eta 2: we were advised by the nursery to spray roundup before we planted to kill the grass (you spray circles in one metre overlapping) but we didn't want to do that so now for the first 12mth or so we use a little hand sickle a couple times to clear any excessive grass.

eta 3: hubby just told me if you want to reveg you need to plant 1 tree per metre.
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 07-02-2012 at 17:37.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks good advice there Buttoneska. I was also going to ask about weeds around the trees. The wedding trees (as we call them) took us ages to weed around after the grass grew up to them when we were away on our honeymoon. It's wirey paddock grass and we were worried that it would choke the trees. However since we put the guards on we haven't weeded again. I don't know whether to persist with keeping weeds away, it seems hopeless since we are watering. I'll be happy when the trees get big enough to drop a few sheep in there!
    We have another tree line that was planted by the last owners of the farm and that doesn't seem to have ever had water on it and it is great. I think you've confirmed that our next tree line will have to do it a bit tougher. It's expensive enough just fencing etc! I'd like to invest in the sturdy plastic tree guards next time though as I haven't been overly happy with the light plastic types and bamboo. I think with the wind here the others would be better, even if more expensive.

Are you revegetating scrub or creating shelter lines? We are mostly lining edges of paddocks first, for lambing shelter etc, then would like to fence our small amount of scrub and revegetate that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have kinda done a bit of everything. We dug scoop drains kinda around the edge of the property (it just lines with the lay of the land) that catches water and directs it into our dams. We planted those out with some special reed tree things that will filter the water and stop the top soil washing into the dam.

Then around the edges we planted out trees - soley for privacy from the nieghbour and also windbreaks.

On the dam banks we planted out to reveg but alot shrubby plants on this one (and a combination of gree manure crops) because it was all bare and disturbed when we got it dug out. (you can't put heaps of trees on the dam bank because the roots will grow through and you have to be careful about which ones you put in)

The back paddock we reveg - we won't do anythign with this area - there is heaps of blackwoods that we will drop later for furniture (hubby makes furniture)

The rest of the property we have built heat/cool traps - so basiically lines of trees but in shapes like horse shoes facing different directions to get cool breezes, warm breezes, no wind etc etc.

We dont have any animals anymore - we did have cows but we won't have anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    also we are platning quite densly - we not overly fussed about grass/weeding as the trees get up the will block enough sun to kill it.

we also planted some bracken which is a natural ground cover fern that will supress weeds.

alot of ppl on big properties will grow this for a few years before planting any trees but we didn't bother

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ NAT256 - My neighbour has the most awesome, succesful orchard (DS and I just went over today and picked a bucket of pears ) and she uses old curtains as netting. She buys the lacey netting ones from charity shops, its cheaper than buying netting and she recons they last nearly as long if you are gentle with them. Also dont forget to put some polly pipe or something up to keep then net up off the trees or the birds will still eat through it.

(I havent read through the whole thread so I appologise if someone has already made this suggestion)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to notquitesupermum For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    notquitesupermum - I've been telling everyone about the curtain idea and everyone thinks it's SUCH a great idea!! Now I probably won't be able to find any curtains in op shops for a hundred miles around my town

Anyone got great ideas for silverbeet?? I have about a thousand tonnes of it to harvest today!!! I've made a million spinach pies in the freezer (like quiche but with puff pastry in muffin tins) and cooked down some to freeze for recipes later and made spinach canneloni. Anything else appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    glad to help
    My neighbour is full of awesome tips and tricks, I spose it comes with spending your whole life on the land.

I use spiniach for just about everything... on pizza, BBQ'd with lemon and butter, in quiche, freeze uncooked spiniach and ricotta rolls

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've started another thread about chook houses and runs if anyone has any advice to offer there or here. We are currently building ours. Have a garden shed as a house to build nesting boxes and roosting poles in and want to make two runs so that we can seed with green feed and replenish one at a time to keep it in good shape.