+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT256 View Post
    We are planning to build a chook yard and shed some time soon. We want chooks (probably a dozen or so) and a few ducks (for snails!). I'm not sure whether to put these near our house yard or up on the hill near the shearing shed (about 200m away). I'd like them near the house for ease but know they attract mice and snakes which would be better away from the house. Is it right that ducks can wander the garden and won't eat vegies? Do they just eat bugs/snails? So many questions....
    I have had the same dilema, in the end we decided to keep it near the house - probably about 50mtres?

Not that is is finished being built but we will have the chook shed with nesting boxes next to the greenhouse (chickens will keep greenhouse warm). Greenhouse we need to keep in zone 1 (zone closest to the house) so we can check on it easily and also collect eggs etc. We will have abig run on the other side of that and the wood pile kept inside the run. The run will have abour 4 zones connected with a walk way. Each zone will have free trees and also bee hives. Chickens will be contained through one zone at a time.

I have been told that the best way to keep snakes and mice away is to keep it clean. And also keep chickens near wood piles because they will eat all the insect and bugs that attract snakes and mice to begin with??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love the idea of wood in the chook run! Thanks! I'll definitely add that to my list. I hadn't heard that before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to mention if you are also a rose enthusiast like me planting onion based vegs & herbs - eg: leeks, garlic, garlic chives..onions...etc acts as a natural pest control :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrissyG For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (06-02-2012),NAT256  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the idea of wood in the chook run! Thanks! I'll definitely add that to my list. I hadn't heard that before.
    Ditto - not that we collect much wood as we only use it in outdoor bonfire :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyG View Post
    Forgot to mention if you are also a rose enthusiast like me planting onion based vegs & herbs - eg: leeks, garlic, garlic chives..onions...etc acts as a natural pest control :-)

Oh CrissyG...you're a mind reader! A lady at work has inspired me to build a rose garden somewhere in the house yard. She always brings such lovely roses to work that I thought...why not add it to the list?! What's another plan eh? I had no idea bout the onion types helping. Will plan for this too. Back to the notebook...
    Any suggestions for good roses for beginners??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    RE: wood shed - we have a big machinery shed that has a heap of wood it in. Its down the back of our property and I swear it would that many creepy, crawling bugs, spiders, snakes, mice... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

We will put a smaller one that maybe will last for a month or two over winter inside the chook shed.

I read about it in the perm. course - I had no idea about it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    actually i think that was a lie - I think I read about it in one of John Seymours books on self sufficiency (great books too definately check them out).

Permaculture is great for big scale design and principles and building systems. John Seymour is really focused on day to day small scale farming kinda of stuff - really practicle stuff that come from his own experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just received my first catalogue from signing up as a Diggers member. Has anyone else done this? I love the idea that my seed and plant money is going to people who are all about preserving plant species and that produce plants that the seed can be collected from. I also love the idea of using the old heirloom varieties in our garden. They sent me some freebie seeds so I'm keen to get planting and see what I can get going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend works for diggers ;-) get heaps of things via her trial crops and those they don't sell which is handy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh CrissyG...you're a mind reader! A lady at work has inspired me to build a rose garden somewhere in the house yard. She always brings such lovely roses to work that I thought...why not add it to the list?! What's another plan eh? I had no idea bout the onion types helping. Will plan for this too. Back to the notebook...
    Any suggestions for good roses for beginners??
    No worries :-)
    I get mine during winter when they're sticks from local market.
    Bunnings occasionally have them on special - I prefer roses that are of an older country style with scent!!! Make sure label says scent or frangrance on it - so sad that most of the new designer hybrids have no scent! :-(

They are pretty tough!!!! I am mean to mine - they all need dead heading atm so I can get another flush of roses, other than that I just prune (more like hack) them right down in winter and come spring they are blooming beautifully!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrissyG For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (07-02-2012)