+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old and no set routine.

Hi all, my 6 month old DS does not have a set routine. Should I be getting him into one or just wait till he finds his own pattern. We just work with the day whatever time he wakes up and usually up for 2 hours, give or take and then has a nap. Usually 3 naps a day.

How do you start babies into routines??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I Neva had one with DD just went with the flow. I found at 9 months she started doing it by herself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm currently reading 'Save our Sleep' and it has suggested routines. I'm finding it really interesting. Don't have any personal experience (yet!). A girlfriend of mine gave it to me, she has a toddler and swears by it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are pretty much the same...basically I folow his cue to sleep, usually about 2hrs after his last wake up, 3 sleeps/day. A lot depends on what I am doing during the day as he doesn't sleep as well out in the pram as in his cot, so will usually have at least one short sleep a day, but not always the same one.

I don't intend on implementing a clock-watching routine and will just continuw as we are....

Thanks
    Reviews
    i never had one with my son (now 9) and my baby 4 months hasn't got one either. she has her own cycle every 3 hrs but it's dependant on what time she wakes for the day.
    i live over an hour's drive from anywhere so having a set routine is extremely difficult, much easier to go with the flow.
    it worked for my son, he would sleep anywhere, anytime and it made our life a hell of a lot easier. i know girls who won't leave the house at certain times or turn their phones off because baby is sleeping. kinda silly imo....

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has always fallen into his own 'routine' (of sorts ). I would just go with what you are doing at the moment if it seems to be working, he will eventually fall into his own routine.

I think routines based on the clock are really difficult (and stressful), especially if you have a bub like mine that wakes at different times of the day, gets tired at different times of the day and sleeps for different amounts of time etc. No two days are the same, which makes a 'sleep at x o'clock for x amount of time, eat at x o'clock' routine impossible. DS also changed his sleep patterns so much over the first 12 months that it's was easier to go with the flow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sons fell into their own loose routine when they dropped to two naps at around 7/8 months.

I would suggest not to try a 'forced' routine, it only leds to stress and unhappiness for mums and bubs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

share a book  (06-02-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we just go with the flow, and will with bellyfruit too.
    i think it would be hard to use a routine if toddler is sleeping but its babys eating time, and school pick up all at once!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i've never done routines, ds is 20 months.

Sometimes I wonder if a lack of routine is what makes our night time / bed time such a struggle but eh,
    We have a set dinner time and tahts all

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a very strict routine and other pp are right that it just led to me stressing out.
    I have to say though that DS is a perfect sleeper now at 19 months and at this age he is much more flexible.