+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a doula for my sons birth and it was the best decision I made. When I got to the hospital, I was really nervous but as soon as she walked in the door, the atmosphere changed. She popped on some mediation music, started burning lavender oil and massaging my feet to calm me down. She helped me get through each contraction and she gave me strength to go on. She was amazing!

Midwives won't be with you every second of your labour. They come in and check on you. The benefit of having a doula is that she's with you the entire time, helping you through it and making sure you're comfortable. She's there to give you physical and emotional support.

miggins is offline ‘There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart, pursue those’
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing to find out more

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had student midwives at both births and found it to be great. We went through a birth centre so had the same midwife throughout the pregnancy and the student came along to all the home visits. DS2 was born 41 +1 and on my primary midwife's weekend off so we had the on call midwife whom we'd never met. Our student was very confident and competent and she ended up playing the most active role in the labour as she had a good relationship with my husband and I and also knew our birth preferences. I had a water birth and it was the first our student had attended so it was quite special for her as well. My husband and I liked the fact that we were contributing to someone's learning experience by letting them share our pregnancy and birth. If, during the labour or birth, we decided we did not want the student there, we had the option to request she leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a doula for my second birth. She knew my birth plan like the back of my hand and having her by my side just took a huge weight off my shoulders. She made my birth preferences clear to the midwives and my birth was such a beautiful and amazing experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a student midwife AND a student doula for my upcoming birth. I figure they have to learn somehow, why not with me? My brother is a nurse & tells an hilarious story about when he was training - he was in an aged care facility & was showering an old lady who promptly swung her bo0bs over her shoulder and said "C'mon Son, you gotta get right up IN there, they're not gonna wash themselves!" I will be that lady, only noticeably younger & more pregnant.

So far, I've found both my middy & doula to be wonderful. They love to share their knowledge but also hear and have opinions on my preferences - both have brought up interesting points on things that I would not have thought of myself being a first timer. My middy is very young without kids herself - this doesn't bother me in the slightest however - and my doula is also young with one little one. I've come to value them both highly as support - this is the most exciting thing I've ever done & I'm glad to have them on board.