+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone used or thought about using a doula, IM or student Midwife?

Hi Ladies,

I've been doing some reading about choosing a birth plan and the care you receive. I have read about doulas and independent midwives and student midwives. I was wondering if anyone out there has used any of these support people and what the pro/cons were? What they did and how it was all organised?

When it comes around to the time, my husband would be with me and possibly my mother but I thought it would be nice to have someone from the healthcare profession that is with you through the whole journey.

I would be in the public system and I've heard you see different people for all your antenatal care and then you get whatever midwife is working when you go in for labour. I tend to get quite anxious when I'm not in control of a situation and there is no greater 'out of control' experience than birth!

Love to hear others thoughts...

Thanks ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like the idea

My bestie is a midwife so the plan is for her to be my birth advocate during labour and birth. We won't be telling the hospital she is a midwife as she isn't allowed to deliver the bub in my hospital as she works in another one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've hired a IM for my VBAC. I'm only 20 weeks so obviously can't tell you the outcome but so far she has been great. I loved by ob first time round and am only not seeing her again because I've moved, but so far I've found my IM much more "available". She always responds to my emails straight away (even if I send them late at night) and is doing a lot of groundwork at the moment to find a suitable hospital for me. I also wanted someone there with me at home who was medically trained to help me through labour, as I intend on staying home for as long as possible. For me a doula or student middie weren't options as they aren't medically trained (I need that for my own peace of mind, otherwise would have happily engaged a doula).

So for me, so far so good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing. I'll have to reply later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two kiddies and haven't used any of these but if and when we have number 3 I will be using a doula for sure. Even though I had lovely midwives for both of my previous births I had a few minor complications when birthing both and so the midwives were busy down that end and even though my husband was fantastic I really think both births would have gone a lot smoother if I had someone to encourage me to try different positions etc. Where abouts are you OP? I have a work colleague who is a nurse and has just completed her Doula training - she is a really lovely lady

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had birth attendants (doulas) for both my births.

My first birth was induced vaginal birth and my doula provided excellent hands on support throughout the labour. Even though I ended up with an epidural I felt empowered and that it was an excellent experience.

My second birth was a planned csection under a general after 8 weeks of bed rest in hospital. My doula provided support ante-natally, visiting me often in hospital, bringing me meals, doing any shopping I needed and looking after me so DH could concentrate on caring for our DD and our visits weren't filled with chatter about what I needed him to do or get for me. She then stayed with me until it was time to go in for the section, then she was with me while I fought through sedation (I could barely keep my eyes open but really worked hard to wake up) so I could go down to NICU. She then helped me with breastfeeding when the LCs on the ward kept 'gently' suggesting formula.

I highly recommend having a doula, midwives can't be with you the whole time and partners get tired over a long period of labour and can find it difficult seeing you in pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I looked into one with the birth of my daughter but decided against it because I had a high risk pregnancy and was worried that if I ended up with an c-section that it wouldnt be worth having a doula/IM.

Now post my daughter's birth I know better, I know that they can help through a vaginal birth or a c-section and I absolutely will be lookign to hire one during any future pregnancies. Like the previous poster I will be looking for one that does post-natal care as well as I found in hosptial that was where I struggled the most. I had a premmie baby and was sick myself. The day I got better I was immediately discharged without my baby, breastfeeding not established and no clue at all what I was doing. With breastfeeding in particular we saw a lactation consultant within the hospital but I just think she was too busy to put the effort in that we needed after our rough start. I figure a doula is specifically there for me and my baby, they wont need to rush off to tend to all the other people in which case their focus will be on helping us get the best care. I felt quite out of control with some of the things that happened during and after the birth and this will be my way of taking back some of that control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I had a student midwife (in the hospital system) as my midwife for my last birth. She was the best one I have ever had, and I had a few (4 labours from 12 to 18 hrs long and one short 5 hr one).

They only thing was when she discovered he was face presentation (nose first) she had to have checked by her superviser and then ob. So I had to have a extra internal. So really no big thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the same Doula for both pregnancies and labours. She was fantastic. I had a long labour on my DD and our Doula was on hand to help me through which meant i could stay home as long as possible. My husband says it was the best money we ever spent.

Pros
    Support through pregnancy labour and post natally
    She is detatched from the situation so emotionally can handle the labouring sometimes screaming abusive woman!
    She can be as hands on or off as you like
    Our doula had tens machine and was a masseur so knew how to give me relief.
    She took great pictures
    She quietly gave my husband ways to help me
    She helped with my birth plan
    She empowered me to have the labour and delivery i wanted twice!

Cons
    None in my experience!
    Although you still have to pay for your Doula even if she doesnt get to your labour ie if its very fast.

OP pm me if you want more details, my kids are screaming here!

Guest Guest
    I had a doula for my 2nd birth and it was the best thing I did. My dh wasnt supportive of the idea and didn't think I needed her and didn't want her in the way, but afterwards he had nothing but praise.
    She's a doula with years of experience and knowledge, I paid $1100 I had 4 visits during pregnancy (including our initial meeting) the 3 visits we did meditation because she was helping me prepare for hypnobirthing, she also did reflexology (basically a foot massage) and we'd have long chats about my birth and what I wanted. She also had alot of good contacts for things like physios and naturopaths. My pregnancy was hard so when I had these appointments she always made me feel better.
    She then also helped with my birth plan and getting prepared with my meditation music, hiring my tens machine and just basic stuff I would never have thought of.

On the day of my labour when she came she set up my room, low lights, soft music and she was massaging me through contractions, she made sure everyone was aware and read my birth plan and was my general support. What's also important is dh really needed her, she didn't take over like he thought, she was the person who knew what was going on around us, the calmest of both of us and she assured him alot when I was struggling and thus causing him stress.
    She wasn't there to help birth the baby or to tell me what to do ie. taking drugs etc. she was my support person, she spoke to the midwives and dh when I couldn't, she helped calm me and take care of the room and my space and kept everything calm.
    When you find the right person, it can be a fantastic support