+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Red rash with yellow flakes

My 3mo has developed a rash on one cheek that starts red, turns rough, then gets yellow patches of scaly skin.

It appeared 2 weeks ago, I took her to my GP on Monday and she gave me steroid cream. I used it for one day then it cleared up. I don't like steroid creams so didnt want to use much, so i stopped using it on what appeared to be normal skin. The yellow flakes turned white and flaked off, and I put a natural type moisturiser on the area 2-3 times a day.

But now it has come back.

Any ideas what this might be from?

GP said it looked like contact dermatitis, from milk and / or spit. But I have been very careful to keep her dry from these.
    Last edited by northern; 05-02-2012 at 21:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    seborrheic dermatitis?
    elocon cream?

Thanks
    Reviews
    that's a steroid cream isnt it? I already have one, but am hesitant using it much because of the possible side effects

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just looked it up because I didn't know - it's DH's. Yeah, elocon is a corticosteroid. It says to apply sparingly. DH also uses asthma steroids daily (flixotide). Asthma and eczema are a combination that often travel together. It's an individual cost/benefit thing. If the condition is more of a problem than the steroids then it's best to use them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    well the rash doesnt seem to bother her, it just looks bad. But possible it will get infected if I leave it so have to do something. i want to find out whats causing it rather than just treat the symptoms. But i dont know where to start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm thanks for sharing this wonderful post, I really like to your thread.It is quite helpful discussion according to me, thank you so much for the impressive post......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is almost 4 months and she gets this as well. She appears to get it on really hot days like a heat rash on her cheeks and then spreads to under her chin and around back of neck. I think it comes from when i feed her and she rests her face on my bare arms.

It doesn't appears to bother her as well.

I bath her in qv bath oil use the cortison cream once or twice which gets rid of the worst if it then use coconut oil on her face or almond oil. Then it clears right up til the next really hot day.

From what I have read online is that's it's common in bubs but they do grow out of it.

Not sure if that helps. It seems like it something that will come and go.

My DSs has baby exzema which came and went for the first year then just gradually went away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps try some MooGoo. All natural and they have some creams for dermatitis. I've just started trying it on myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northern View Post
    well the rash doesnt seem to bother her, it just looks bad. But possible it will get infected if I leave it so have to do something. i want to find out whats causing it rather than just treat the symptoms. But i dont know where to start.
    Yes it can become infected.

Clear it up with the round cream you have & start a diary of each day, what she does, where she goes, what she eats/drinks, what she touches. Try to see if you can link the rash to anything. Take the diary to the GP for their opinion.

Both my girls have eczema which does become dry, flaky & very red if I don't catch it in time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had this experience with my DS, but me personally, I've used sudocream or Lucas paw paw ointment on rashes and they've worked. My 15wk old niece is having the same problem, she is here visiting from a colder climate and it seems the heat is having an effect on her skin and is getting similar rashes. She also gets under her chin, most likely from milk and saliva running down.