View Poll Results: Drop-side cot or rigid?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop-side

13 92.86%
  • Rigid

1 7.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cots: Drop-side or rigid?

I went to Babies R Us today and they mentioned that they will no longer sell drop-side cots due to safety concerns. We thought a drop-side would be good given I'm quite short and it's easier to get bubs out when born.

We are looking at a Tasman Eco cot either the Tuscany (drop-side) or the Symphony (rigid) and wanted to know what others thought on the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would you consider a bassinet? The ones on wheels are fantastic, and can be moved to help bub get used to day and night. Day sleeps in the family room, night time in the bedroom.

I personally never had a cot for mine, but if I did it would be a drop side cot. It would be against my bed side car style.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I should've clarified. We'll have a bassinet for the first few months so the cot will be for later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go to a dedicated baby shop, they are generally better than other stores and can talk to you more about the safety side, but yeah my preference would be drop side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a drop side is really important, particularly if you are average height or shorter. I used to struggle to put Dd in her cot without lowering the side, especially if she was asleep and I was trying not to wake her.

I would also recommend a baby shop or even somewhere like Ikea if you have one nearby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a cot with a drop side. DS was in the cot from 4 ish months and I hardly used it. I never use it now, he's 10 months. I can do it quietly but he has super sonic hearing and it wakes him up.
    As for the safety side, I did some googling before we got ours and it seemed like a lot of accidents happened due to incorrect installation. I'm confident with how DH puts things together so was happy to have a cot with a drop side. Also, a lot of the info I found was from the US and they may not have as stringent safety standards in terms of manufacturing that we do in Aust.
    Just my opinion, but like shareabook said, definitely ask in a baby shop.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt use a drop side they have been banned in the US for being too dangerous and causing lots of deaths. It worth the risk IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can someone link to research on drop sides? I hadn't heard of them being unsafe, but in child care they're recommended to reduce possibility of injury to carers due to manual handling.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (05-02-2012),share a book  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am quite short and couldn't get my children in or out with out dropping the side until they could stand, so I would say drop side, we never had any incidents with our cot and it was used for all the children

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never heard of any safety issues with drop side cots. I work in childcare and we are not allowed to put bubs in or take them out with the sides up.