+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting Immature Eggs Matured in the Lab.

Hi all,

Have you ladies ever had immature eggs retrieved before? And if so, have they ever been matured in the lab by embryologist and then attempt to fertilise them after maturation?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

Yes I just had this done. They retrieved 14 eggs of which they were able to mature nine with all nine fertilising. This procedure is usually done for women with PCOS to assist in preventing OHSS. Is this something you are thinking about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slightly different thing happened to me.
    On one cycle some of my eggs matured of their own accord in the lab, without intervention by the embryologist. They fertilised and grew at a similar rate and quality as those which were mature at collection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Summershine, thanks for your response! Oh I am amazed to hear what you say. So your case was planned by FS? To retrieve them immature and mature in the lab? How did they do that? Was it by adding some hormones to help with maturation? I do not have PCOS but I did have two immature and one immature eggs retrieved these recent two cycles.

I happened to read about maturing eggs in the lab and wonder why the embryologist did not attempt to do so when they could esp when I had only 3 mature eggs this retrieval. Every egg is precious and has potential doesnt it?

Thanks felicita! Did yours mature overnight meaning day 0 to day 1?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, it was actually during the few hours on day 0 while they were preparing and doing the ICSI on the (9) mature eggs that some (3 out of 4) of the immature ones got up to M2 phase, so they ICSI'd them too.

I included my piece because I thought it might be nice for you to know that even though they weren't ready at EPU they performed no worse than the eggs that followed the traditional rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it was planned. You only stim for 5 days and then they collect the immature eggs and mature them in the lab (I am really not sure how, I know they took my blood though). This isn't a new procedure but it's still considered experimental atm which is probably why your embryologist didn't try it.
    This road is hard hey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Summershine, thanks! when I have the chance will ask my FN what is involved in this maturation procedure. You are very fortunate to have 9 out of 14 matured and fertilised in the lab. That is very good result. Are you in your 2ww already? Yeah it is a tough journey. Hope things will work out for us all.

Felicita, lucky you that your 3 eggs mature on day 0 so they can ICSI them. I guess the timing has to be right too and day 0 would be best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ladies can I ask which state and clinic you are in that did this? I had epu last week, 12 eggs picked up and 7 were immature! Totally devestated and feel this cycle is a bust even though we did end up getting 2 to transfer...but they were no where near where they needed to be on day 5...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum2oneds - I am in the 2WW now. Only one made it to blasty out of the nine that fertilised. I get the feeling my egg quality isn't that hot.

Nicole - I'm in Perth. The process is called IVM but I think it's mainly used for PCOS patients but worth speaking to your FS if they can mature the immature eggs?? I don't think it's widely done though. Let me know if you have any other questions I'll try to help as much as I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks summer sunshine I will ask them when we meet again to plan next cycle.

I do have pcos which is most likely why I had so many immature.