+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gluten free pastry recipe

I did post this under the allergy section, but if it gets missed there, maybe someone here can help...

I'm trying to find family friendly staple recipes for a coeliac child. And whilst I have worked out some things I just can NOT get a nice pastry mix. It either turns out too crumbly, or like a weird mix between a biscuit base and a pastry base.

Has anyone had success making gluten free pastry that can share their recipe?

Or do you have any other stand out, simply must try GF recipes?

Thankyou!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a make from scratch one I'll send you (I.e it doesn't use GF flour but a combination of different types of flours). If you do prefer to just use GF flour though I always add some xanatham gum as it increase elasticity, which is basically what gluten does, and is why it comes out so crumbly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh I meant to add that DH is gluten and dairy free so have a wealth of recipes. Let me know if you are after something in particular.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing -on phone. We're also gluten &dairy free and i'm struggling for variety. Bbl, would love to do a recipe swap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    subbing -on phone. We're also gluten &dairy free and i'm struggling for variety. Bbl, would love to do a recipe swap!
    Sounds good! I have loads so tell me what you like and I will see what I can think of. Today we had chilli beef with corn tortillas and I made some bolognese using rabbit meat as a change (usually use mix of beef and pork). We also have about 3 vegetarian dishes per week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm subbing to this as DH is gluten intolerant. He does cheat in occasion, but I try to keep as gluten free as possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    I answered in the other thread. We are a gluten free house. DD is a dairy free coeliac too. We are vegetarian too, with most of our diet vegan. We rarely use pastry though, so after a couple of failed attemots I felt it was better to use the frozen sheets or the Orgran mix. I have the Orgran one in the pantry now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been gluten free for about 6 years and have put pastry in the too hard basket.

Coles occasionally has a frozen puff pastry in their GF freezer section but it seems to run out of stock quickly.

My dad used the orgran one recently and it was beautiful but he said it took over an hour of rolling it out with butter.

What are you wanting to make with pastry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're a gluten free, sugar free, plant based diet family... Puff pastry was put in the 'too hard' basket! Plenty of other things to eat!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Lock and Lu  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lock and Lu View Post
    I have been gluten free for about 6 years and have put pastry in the too hard basket.

Coles occasionally has a frozen puff pastry in their GF freezer section but it seems to run out of stock quickly.

My dad used the orgran one recently and it was beautiful but he said it took over an hour of rolling it out with butter.

What are you wanting to make with pastry?
    Wow - have never seen it at out Coles - maybe I'll ask!

I made a yummy Mediterranean vegetable and feta tart, but the pastry let me down....and I was thinking maybe a quiche as a family staple, and perhaps types of meat pies just so my kids can feel like they're eating "normal" food like everyone else.

And yes Mexican has become a favourite here too - so good when so many of the pre made foods are corn based and gluten free!!!!
    Last edited by Js Mum; 05-02-2012 at 23:41.