+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Any single parent homeschoolers?

I have asked this in the sp section before, but think it fits better here.

Anyone homeschool as a single parent?

How do you cope financially?

How do you cope with having no break?

Do you have support from others in the community?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No experience but I would be interested to see some replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not currently doing this, nor do I know anyone who has or is, but we are planning to in the future.

Specifically- we plan to travel around Aus for a period of up to 12months and I plan to homeschool DS while doing it.

I think the biggest challenge is actually funding. As you may well know, PPS cuts off when your youngest child is 8. There is speculation that homeschooling does qualify you further but I don't actaully know about that. I couldn't survive on just PPS alone- even while travelling, so it's a non-option for me. My avenue would have to be 'WFH' arrangement which I am in the process of setting up with my own business.

I imagine support, supplies would all be the same as it would for partnered parents. No difference except your daily structure and routine might look a little different to allow for some work/client time, than again I imagine that there would be little homeschoolers that would have the same daily routine and structure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked into homeschooling awhile ago. It is something I strongly believe in and would love to do ... but I am realistic and know that I personally am not in a position to commit to such a large endeavour at this point in time.

However, when I was looking into it, I visited some other homeschoolers, including a single parent (widow) whom had eight children, two with disabilities, and had successfully homeschooled them all.

It is possible. It just depends on your own circumstances.

Oh, and I know of another family (two parents - inc SAHM) that had homeschooled their kids from the start, and then decided (for their own reasons) to main****** them. At this point the eldest went into year 10, and the youngest year 2. After they had been there for a couple of months, the mother commented that public school was more work than homeschooling. (She did volunteer at school - escursions, classroom help, etc. But the biggest thing she found difficult was the regimented routine, and fitting extra-curriculas around a school timetable.) The reason I gave this anecdote is because I am trying to say that what someone is used to is what is easier for them. This family was used homeschooling and had that working effectively. Suddenly changing everything by going to public school was a major upheaval and thus more difficult in the short term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I am not currently doing this, nor do I know anyone who has or is, but we are planning to in the future.

Specifically- we plan to travel around Aus for a period of up to 12months and I plan to homeschool DS while doing it.

I think the biggest challenge is actually funding. As you may well know, PPS cuts off when your youngest child is 8. There is speculation that homeschooling does qualify you further but I don't actaully know about that. I couldn't survive on just PPS alone- even while travelling, so it's a non-option for me. My avenue would have to be 'WFH' arrangement which I am in the process of setting up with my own business.

I imagine support, supplies would all be the same as it would for partnered parents. No difference except your daily structure and routine might look a little different to allow for some work/client time, than again I imagine that there would be little homeschoolers that would have the same daily routine and structure.
    I can stay on payments until 16 and homeschooling takes the place of work/study activities.

I've found a way around finances by doing childcare from home, but how do people cope being with kids 24/7 with no break at all?