Please help. I have a DS who will be 4 in 4 months. He has severe separation anxiety and I don't know where to go for help or what I can do to help him.
Some examples of his behaviour:
1. I am the only one who can brush his teeth or put his pull up on at night, wipe his bum, put his shoes on, put his seatbelt on etc. He will occasionally let my mum put his seatbelt on or dress him but otherwise, he needs me to do it.
2. If I walk more than about a Metre away from him, he gets anxious and asks where I'm going. Even at home.
3. He comes with me to the toilet, to the outside fridge, to take the rubbish out etc.
4. If I try and walk away from him eg. Am busting for the bathroom so have to hurry, he gets upset and squeals and will often cry.
5. He is terrified of strangers and will not talk even to friends until he has had many, many interactions with them
6. He has to go to sleep with me. We move him into his own bed (same room) when we go to bed, but I spend the night hopping back and forth between DD in our bed and DS who cries and screams for me.
7. He started preschool last week and it has been a complete nightmare. He spent a great deal of last night awake crying and saying he didn't want to go back to school. He cried himself to sleep, and slept in my arms for the whole night.
Need I go on?
I also have a 12 month old DD and I am flipping exhausted as she also seems to have developed a preference for me over DH. Farrrr out.
I don't really know what to do or where to go for help. I try and be patient with him but I am always so frustrated. I really like my own space and am not a "chatty" person, so am really starting to resent having to give a running commentary of my life all the time. That sounds awful. I'm sorry. I am just so scared and worried for him.
Can anybody direct me to anyone/anywhere that could help? Or do you have any similar experiences?
I don't know what to so about school. I Just do not know what to do full stop.
Thanks. Sorry this is so long