+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Slightly off topic but can you over feed a baby EBM? I'm exclusively expressing and often wonder if im overfeeding ...

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappinessQuest View Post
    I am a first time mum and my DS is 6weeks old. He is currently feeding every hr to hr and half. If i try to extend it out he just screams. He wont take a dummy. My questions are: is this too often? How do I know if I am comfort feeding him because nothing else will settle him? and Is it true that you can't over breast feed a baby? He is almost seven kilos already. Some of his feeds are so short almost snack like, how can I get him to feed more but less often? Or does all of the above not matter because hr to hr and half is normal for a six week old?
    My DD is 4 months and is gradually lasting longer between feeds. It's really normal to feed frequently at 6 weeks, so don't stress and just go with the flow.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Your DS sounds like a very healthy, happy bubba!

I understand the concern you may have of 'overfeeding' baby - I thought that when my toddler was a newbie I was doing the same.

She would have so much milk, then be quite upset for long periods of time, she wouldn't take a dummy nor would anything else settle her. I had an overactive let down (too much milk too fast) and i wasnt managing it too well as I didn't have adequate info at the time.

This time around I manage it a bit better. Aside from tandem feeding my toddler and newborn, I also feed my newborn on the same side if she seems hungry again shortly after the feed. That way she doesn't get the fast let down again, or the foremilk so she doesn't get a windy tummy.

I also offer her my clean pinky finger turned upwards to suck and that calms her, resembles the nipple more than a dummy but doesn't add to an already loaded tummy.

But if it's hot as well, Bubs will feed more and I've noticed with my little ones that the difference in size has related to their desire to feed with my larger newborn (my now toddler) feeding so regularly too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your doing a great job. My DS fed every 2 hours till he was 3 months. He was in the 95% for his weight then once he hit 4-5 months he just stretched out. He is now 14mths and still in double zeros : ) I enjoyed feeding him and demand fed him till 13 mths.
    He would only ever feed for on one side and only for 10 min.
    I also tried for a long time to get him to take a dummy I bought every dummy on the market but he didn't take any.
    Just go with what you are comfortable with and enjoy that bond. They grow up to quick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    DS never took the other side, if i gave it to him (say we were going out and i wanted to 'fill him up') he would vomit it up. i just feed left one feed, right the next feed. this prob isnt the norm or what you are 'ment' to do but it works for us.

he also feed fairly frequently. say if he woke at 10, he would want a feed by 1030, then would want to go back to sleep by 12 so would have another feed then.so effectively feeding every 1-1/2 hrs while awake. he did this for AGES.
    Mine fed one side at a time, but preferred the left. By 8 months she would only take the right when she was going to sleep or when she first woke up so I expressed from that side. By 11 months she refused the right completely and fed from the left only for the next 2 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    Slightly off topic but can you over feed a baby EBM? I'm exclusively expressing and often wonder if im overfeeding ...

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub
    No, for all the same reasons

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

2Bboys  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with everyone else plus around the 6 week mark baby has a growth spurt so you will find yourself having to BF more often. You're going great, keep it up!

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    DS never took the other side, if i gave it to him (say we were going out and i wanted to 'fill him up') he would vomit it up. i just feed left one feed, right the next feed. this prob isnt the norm or what you are 'ment' to do but it works for us.

he also feed fairly frequently. say if he woke at 10, he would want a feed by 1030, then would want to go back to sleep by 12 so would have another feed then.so effectively feeding every 1-1/2 hrs while awake. he did this for AGES.
    My dd did this too. She'd drained one side and be full and than I use the next side at the next feed. I got it trouble of the mcn for this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    dont listen to other do what feels right to you you cant over feed a BF baby, you wont make him a fat adult, or a pig, you cant "spoil" him keep up the good work

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do this too sometimes DD wants to feed every half hour so for two hours she'll only drink one side then I'll swap for the next two hours.