+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whats better, sunbeds OR SUN??? If theres no sunbeds there will be more people out in the SUN!!!

I personally DONT tan in anyway (unless you call Gardening tanning ) and dont find it at all appealling to lay in a sunbed. However, a regualated sunbed seems 'safer' to me...although addmittedly(sp?) i dont know much about them!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    See above Jennibear - they give you a concentrated dose of sun. You lay in them for 10-15 mins and they give you a LOT more UV than you would if you were in the sun for that long. You'd need to spend an hour or more in the sun to get the same effect.

Most people won't lay outside for an hour or more each day... but they can fit a trip to the salon in for that long.

A lot of people might pop on sunscreen to go lay in the sun - they won't in a sunbed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (08-02-2012),ShanandBoc  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like to have a tan. I go out to the beach with my DD, in the sun. We are both covered in sunscreen which is 50+ and will never be out between 11 & 1. DD does not in any way have a tan apart from her natural colour (DP is phillipino so she is darker naturally).

I also have naturally olive skin and yes I have a deeper tan than I would in winter, but I'd rather go out in the sun with sunscreen on than have to take vitamin D supplements.

I believe tanning beds are much worse than natural sun. Especially since most people will put oil on to go in a bed as well as going 1-2 or more times a week.

As the studies show, you get a much more concentrated dose from a tanning bed.

WooHoo! Another iphone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use to work in a ladies fitness centre & part of my work conditions was that we had to have a healthy glow! 😳 The centre had a sunbed & I was on there at least twice a week and I dreed to think what damage I had done. However, my family have bad psoriasis & part of the treatment is using a sunbed but in a controlled environment. I think banning them is abit OTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A bit OT but do the uv rays you catch when using a solarium give you vitamin D like the uv rays in real sun?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, the UVA rays from a tanning bed will help your skin to manufacture natural Vit D, however the risks from a solarium outweighs this benefit.

Fair skinned people need about 15 minutes of direct sun, preferably not the middle of the day, every second day on about 25% of your body (hands, arms and face), and darkest skinned people need up to 6 times that, so about 1.5 hours every second day or 45 minutes per day.

Seeing that the UV delivered by Solarium is 5 times that of the sun, and that a fair skinned person would get enough Vitamin D by walking from the car park to the shop, spending the money getting in a solarium would be a waste, and for the darkest skinned person would only ever need 9 minutes, or could walk around the block etc getting fit and saving money.

Either way, seeing getting Vit D can be sorted for free, relatively quickly and easier than using a solarium, hardly an argument to not ban them, more so especially as the risks of causing skin cancer outweighs the benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use to work in a ladies fitness centre & part of my work conditions was that we had to have a healthy glow! 😳 The centre had a sunbed & I was on there at least twice a week and I dreed to think what damage I had done. However, my family have bad psoriasis & part of the treatment is using a sunbed but in a controlled environment. I think banning them is abit OTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not about to jump in a sunbed but they say you only need that much sun yet my (and everyone else's it seems) vit D levels are low. I would stand in the sun for at least half an hour a day- hanging washing, walking to/from car/shops, school drop off/pick up (which usually involves standing around talking for ages). I don't wear sunscreen or a hat- ever! I don't understand how my levels could be low, it makes me worry for my kids who have dark skin and HAVE to wear a hat at school, and sunscreen at day care grrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
    A place I worked at in the past insisted I used their sunbed to promote it for their business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being that Melanoma is the worst cancer here in oz..I say go for it...