+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are you/DP vaccinated for whooping cough?

Hi
    Just a question on whether you or your DP got vaccinated for whooping cough at all, as a "just in case" measure so you don't pass it on to your kids?
    I'm not, neither is DP, & I hadn't heard of it happening b4, but my friend asked me today whether I was getting vaccinated once the baby arrives, like as if if was what most people do?

Is this the "norm" ? What have you all done?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, DH and I got vaccinated shortly after DD was born. It's free for new parents and primary carers. My parents also got it, as they would be spending a lot of time with DD.

Most people I know who have had children have got it done as a fairly routine thing after having a baby. Unfortunately cases of whooping cough seem to be on the rise in Australia, and it can be very dangerous (fatal) for a young baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, we did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am, but wasn't when dd was born. She's on '03 baby and I only had it in '10 for work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes when dd was born there was a high rate of whopping cough in our area. Our parents also got the vaccine.
    I didn't only get it for dd though I'm a preschool teacher and at least once it twice a year we will have someone who has whooping cough. We have already had a case and that was the day we opened for the year. My gp treats a lot of children I teach so if I need to see her after a child has had it she will test me for it knowing I've been in contact with it and I have a lower immune system

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am and DH will be too although we aren't going to ask family or friends to get it done. There is an amazingly high rate of vaccination in Oz and the number of cases keep going up so I am somewhat dubious about its effectiveness but given the seriousness, decided to get it before TCC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I got mine updated for work & then got DH to update his when we started TTC (wish we'd waited till I fell pregnant- then we wouldn't have had to pay for it haha!)

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we had DS just over 2 years ago, it wasn't either offered or suggested that we should.

But DH will be getting it soon, and I will after DD's birth. There has been an outbreak in our area for a good few months now, so I won't be taking any chances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both DH and I are vaccinated its something that scares me so much so we did it just in case

Thanks
    Reviews
    good question. no i didnt have a booster shot or any shots after my ds was born