+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Failed first IVF cycle; what to do differently for second cycle?

We've just had a negative result from our first IVF ICSI antagonist cycle. Had 6 eggs; 4 fertilised; vacuoles developed by day 3; no good blastocyst at day 5 to transfer; transferred a early blastocyst on day 6 that was slow and collapsed to 50% of the cavity to give it a go with a BFN.
    Do we need to do something different next cycle? Do we just have to think we might be luckier next time? My clinic doesn't do HA ICSI/PICSI. Any opinions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi New - Sorry to hear about your 1st cycle. It is such a cruel journey to go through. We did Icsi and had a few frozen so have been able to do FET's.

I think that your FS will learn from this cycle and hopefully adjust your meds and procedure to suit. If you feel like HA ICSI/PICSI may work for you I would suggest to change clinics to one that does these.

Just wanted to say hello and send lots of and to you for your next cycle.

Best of luck.
    L85

3. The Following User Says Thank You to L85 For This Useful Post:

Kenta  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are waiting for our results from our 3rd IUI attempt with Donor Sperm I have tried to be more "healthy" this time, eating really good food, lots of water...I don't know if there is much you can do to help it work, just stay positive?
    Good luck with your next attempt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emzy86 For This Useful Post:

Kenta  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

Sorry to hear about your failed cycle Hun. I had a few failed cycles, I know how much it sucks. I took coq10 and royal jelly (plus baby aspirin, but that's due to a clotting issue) before my last cycle and I got my BFP. I'm now almost 15 weeks pregnant. That was the only cycle that I got really good results too. Big egg haul, all really good quality and a few made it to day 5, whereas all previous ones I only ever got one good blast.

I also did acupuncture before and after transfer. Could all be coincidence, but can't hurt to try.

Hope you get your beautiful baby with your next cycle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini85 For This Useful Post:

Kenta  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear that you weren't successful. I do have some suggestions on what you can do to improve your chances, some of which you might already be doing of course. All of my advice is based on my own research, but I’m not a medical professional.

Are you taking Chinese fertility herbs? Research has shown that women who combine Chinese medicine with IVF have a significantly improved success rate. Make sure you find a qualified practitioner to prescribe the herbs to you based on your individual medical history and needs.

Eating healthily is very important, as I’m sure you know. Things to avoid: sugar (in all forms except that naturally occurring in fruit), white flour/rice/pasta, red meat, caffeine and chemical additives (like all flavours, colours and preservatives). You should be eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, healthy fats like Omega 3 (found in avocado, flaxseed oil), and super foods like Spirilina, goji berries, and chia seeds, wheatgrass etc. Drink 2 litres of water a day. Drink Rooibos Chai tea because it is decaffeinated but has beneficial herbs in it like cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and ginger.

Make sure the medication you are on is right for you. If you are using Follistim and it burns as you inject it, ask to use the alternative, Gonal F. Your doctors will know what is best for your situation, but you should do your own research to make sure you are comfortable with the treatment you are receiving.

Lastly, the most difficult one is to relax, avoid stress and stay positive. Believe me, I know how impossible that can be! On the one hand, you are trying so hard to conceive and have so much invested in it, and on the other hand, people tell you, but you have to relax about it or it won’t happen! Just do your best. Putting pressure on yourself to relax just makes it worse! Get at least 8.5 hours sleep a night and be in bed before 10pm. Exercise every day even if it is only walking for 30 minutes. It might be hard to control how you are feeling but if you are eating right, sleeping well and exercising, you will be giving your body the best chance of being able to relax.

Good luck with your next cycle!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lisa2012 For This Useful Post:

Kenta  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to hear your cycle was unsuccessful. I'm on my first cycle so can't offer any advice but wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the luck in the world for your next cycle xxxx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Feet For This Useful Post:

Kenta  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for the support. Our main concern is hubby's poor sperm quality and poor guy has just been struck down with a cough/congested sinus he can't seem to shake for the last 3 wks - have started him on antibiotics this morning.

L85 - been doing a fair bit of research on PICSI/HAICSI - my dilemma is I really like my FS and want to stay with him but HA ICSI may be better for our situation.

Emzy and Lisa - yes I eat healthy mostly - already on the rooboos tea; chia seed; goji berry; fruit and veges; exercise between IVF (running/walking - did 5km yesterday and this morning aching because it was the first day I have run for a month). I do accupuncture since I started IVF and am continuing. Haven't done the chinese herb as I hear it may interfere with IVF meds.

Gemini85 - what type/dose of coq10 or royal jelly do you take?

Thanks littlefeet. Good luck with your first cycle.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took 150mg of the coq10 a day and one royal jelly capsule.

I was also on Chinese herbs. My practitioner, a good friend too with 40 years experience, said I could take them up until egg pick up. Mine were for cold in the uterus, which was stopping implantation. Who knows if all this stuff actually did contribute to my BFP but I guess we will try anything hey lol. I also did the kiwi fruit thing too. Even though I hate kiwi fruit haha.

Is your hubby on menevit or anything? That made a big difference to my hubby's sperm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Gemini yes have had pineapple, kiwi fruit. Will try the co10 but it seems to be used for heart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I thinks it good for general well being too though. Helps with blood flow etc. if you google it you will find heaps of good stories about its success with ivf.

Goodluck hun xoxo