Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi all
    I absolutely agree that the decision between "natural" or c-section birth is completely up to the mother and not one that most take lightly!

I am about to have my first child in April through the public system. At my last scan I was told that bubs has a rather large head and me being quite small this scared the hell out of me. When I mentioned this to the ob he was very dismissive and said there was nothing they would do about it. That I would not be able to have an elective caeser unless bub was going to be bigger than 4.5kgs, and that isnt likely.

I feel its a bit unfair that I dont have the option to choose a c-section when I genuinely believe baby will get stuck, Il need an emergency c-section and have to deal with recovery from both. Of course I dont know this, but it terrifys me!

Has anyone else managed to get a c-section publicly without a medical reason?

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gothchick, what can I say? Right on!

In the olden days they used to remove teeth with pliers without pain relief because science hadn't come so far back then.. I wonder how many women out there would say to their dentist, "sorry, no drugs, it's "natural" or nothing for me".. really, why is child birth any different? Pain is pain, if it can be avoided, I'll avoid it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (04-02-2012),Von Zipper  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think there's a big difference between tooth extraction and child birth.

Pain from labour is preparing the body for what it is supposed to do. Lots of hormones are released during labour.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 04-02-2012 at 18:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the op wanted to know why we chose a csection not so that we could be attacked but understood. I chose my section at first ob appointment both times. I have had major back surgery and don't want to compromise my condition. It is classified as an elective section even though it is medically necessary. To be honest I don't like the idea of labour and am very comfortable with my decision. I had a very relaxed birthing experience and am over justifying myself to others. How my daughter arrived does not award me nor exclude me from mother of the year award. I have no negetive memories of my experience. Thank gd I have heaps of friends that have delivered by csection and we are all very blasé about it. Infact in my circles pushing out a baby is not considered the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    Hi all

Has anyone else managed to get a c-section publicly without a medical reason?
    I had mine at the royal north shore in Sydney, had to have a long chat with the OB but got there in the end, once he realised how determined I was. He said 'what would you do if we refused?' I said I would find another hospital. That seemed to make up his mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I haven't seen anyone attack. Again I fully support choice, but I think there can be a lot of myths about childbirth that some med pro's reinforce. I simply want people to be informed. Nothing more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    It is more being asked the reason for my c-section that bothers me. Rather than talking about the actual experience if that makes sense.
    Yeah it does.

I like to say 'because that's what I wanted' (as it was) and nothing more, as I feel that choosing a csection is as valid as choosing a vaginal birth, no one seems to asks people to justify why they had vaginal births.

But I understand how confronting that question can be, especially with what it can turn a conversation to.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 04-02-2012 at 18:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BigRedV, absolutely there's a difference between the pain of tooth extraction and childbirth. Like I said earlier, if you can go the drug free route and manage, outstanding. For me, I used what was offered during labour.

I just wonder what the reasons behind choosing not to have the drugs are. Some want all natural, then how far do they take it? Do they refuse pain relief for other procedures such as the dentist? The difference is huge, I know, I meant pain relief is available, why not use it? Honestly curoius. Is it a personal accomplishment to go through the pain? Just wanted to hear personal accounts and why people make such decisions? The same with an elective CS. Why do some people choose it? And why are they judged for it?
    My bestie had 2 drug free births, just because she didn't feel the need for pain relief. She could manage and she did it. I was 17 when I first gave birth, with big plans of having a natural birth. Little did I know.. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is so sad the way that mothers can be so cruel to each other. As long as we do what is right for us and our babies, who cares!!! I had a drug-free vb (I wasn't comfortable with pethadine and really didn't want an epidural, they freak me out) I tore quite badly due to my ds coming out superman style with his hand next to his face and ended up in theatre with a spinal block to have all my stitches (I was spewing that I ended up in bed with dead legs anyway lol). I have recovered really well from my stitches and birth. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, I have a super high pain threshold and I did what was right for me. I've also been attacked and made to feel awful for my choices. I think we all do what works for us and we should all just be nice to each other (((group hug)))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I thought the op wanted to know why we chose a csection not so that we could be attacked but understood. I chose my section at first ob appointment both times. I have had major back surgery and don't want to compromise my condition. It is classified as an elective section even though it is medically necessary. To be honest I don't like the idea of labour and am very comfortable with my decision. I had a very relaxed birthing experience and am over justifying myself to others. How my daughter arrived does not award me nor exclude me from mother of the year award. I have no negetive memories of my experience. Thank gd I have heaps of friends that have delivered by csection and we are all very blasé about it. Infact in my circles pushing out a baby is not considered the norm.
    Who has been attacking? Really, I haven't felt any negativity throughout the thread and feel way more informed now. I understand that there are numerous reasons as to why some women choose this route.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast