Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very pro elective cesarian for most of this pregnancy for the following main reasons.
    I'm a bit of a control freak and could choose to have bubs arrive sooner rather than later. This was important to me as I'd rather spend my maternity leave with him rather than waiting for him.
    The unknowns of a VB scare me. I can't think of anything worse than laboring for 10+ hours then having to have an emergency CS. 3rd and 4th degree tears and any other numerous complications scare me big time... And in my mind recovery from an elective CS is shorter than recovery from major tears. I've had some very close friends with horror stories!
    And friends that have had both would opt again for an elective CS any day over VB. I've just had 3 besties in the last month have them and all were up and moving comfortably and freely a week later and driving 2 weeks later.
    This said over the last month I have changed my mind and decided to go with VB. I have no idea why, something has just changed in my head! I just hope that my decision doesn't come back to haunt me

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistyk For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    I don't get what you mean??
    when you comment on a thread it's put in your subscribed list so some that are time poor and want to read along or add in later will subscribe so the thread doesn't get lost.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (04-02-2012),~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had both my babies by elective CS neither were physically medically necessary. The amount of judgement I have received from here and a couple of midwives was enormous. My first was in a public hospital and the second private.

It was the right decision then and I do not regret it a single bit.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (04-02-2012),blissfulfairy  (04-02-2012),LoCo  (04-02-2012),~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistyk View Post
    I was very pro elective cesarian for most of this pregnancy for the following main reasons.
    I'm a bit of a control freak and could choose to have bubs arrive sooner rather than later. This was important to me as I'd rather spend my maternity leave with him rather than waiting for him.
    The unknowns of a VB scare me. I can't think of anything worse than laboring for 10+ hours then having to have an emergency CS. 3rd and 4th degree tears and any other numerous complications scare me big time... And in my mind recovery from an elective CS is shorter than recovery from major tears. I've had some very close friends with horror stories!
    And friends that have had both would opt again for an elective CS any day over VB. I've just had 3 besties in the last month have them and all were up and moving comfortably and freely a week later and driving 2 weeks later.
    This said over the last month I have changed my mind and decided to go with VB. I have no idea why, something has just changed in my head! I just hope that my decision doesn't come back to haunt me
    Most people can be up immediately following a vb. I drove myself to and from the hospital and was able to do gymnastics 4 days later. Probably sooner had I tried it sooner. Horror stories are the worst, but my mum took months to recover from the first 2 c-sections, almost a year with the 3rd.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (04-02-2012),~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    and I wanted to add I hate that such things as breech and placenta previa which the hospitals make you have, is classed as elective. I didn't elect it thanks and had I been able to I would of birthed naturally
    Totally agree Del

I had to have a elective cs due to dd needing to be delivered asap and she was breeched and we didn't have time for her to turn (she was 37weeks) I wasn't comfortable delivering a breech bub.

I was really looking forward to my vaginal birth that I had spent 37 weeks preparing for. I was bitter for a very long time about it. I was like Del in her first post after having my cs "why would you want that". There is no such thing as too posh to push and I find that really insulting we don't really know what victoria beckhams reasons are for having csections

I'm hoping a vbac for newbie but I have that elective cs up my sleeve if I need it or want it as the great thing is that we have this choice to have a birth that we want or feel comfortable with. While I wouldn't necessary recommend a cs to someone unless needed I respect another's choice to have a cs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Most people can be up immediately following a vb. I drove myself to and from the hospital and was able to do gymnastics 4 days later. Probably sooner had I tried it sooner. Horror stories are the worst, but my mum took months to recover from the first 2 c-sections, almost a year with the 3rd.
    Wow your my new hero. I was up moving around the next day and the midwives were amazed and had to remind me and themselves I had a cs. But I struggled when I got home just climbing the stairs and vacuuming lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @Cheerilee, that's what I don't get, why would people judge you for it? Can someone tell me why they would judge someone for it? Really, what business is it of theirs, why would they care? Does an elective CS put baby at risk or something? Can't imagine any more risk than with a vb..?? Brings me back to the question, is it because of the so called "too posh to push" theory? Is that why women are judged for it? If a woman can opt for a quick, fast, pain free procedure (I know the healing isn't pain free) then why shouldn't she?
    For me personally I just can't get my head around the cutting my tummy open bit (it's totally just me and a fear of.. well, being cut open, lol) so that's the only reason why I couldn't do it. I had vb with DS and it was agonising, yes, but I opted for the pain relief which was magic. Also, women opting for pain relief is frowned upon by some as well.. again, wtf? If you have a migrain do you just sit through it or take a panadol? Again, not judging, just curious as to why some people are against pain relief? Is that just because it isn't natural? I salute all you mums out there who had "natural" births but, I sure as hell will take the pain relief if I can!
    Sorry I ask heaps of questions, lol.. but I just like to figure out what makes people do the things they do..

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are a lot of reasons, it's a personal choice. My friend had an extremely traumatic vaginal birth and therefore opted for a c/s the next time, so that's one reason

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am having an elective c-section this time round, for numerous reasons:

1) I had an emergency c-section with DS. He didn't ever engage, had a massive head, was a big baby and my labour failed to progress. Likely this baby will be the same and I don't want to be exhausted and out of it like I was for DS's first 48 hours on earth after being in labour having no sleep for 32 hours prior to the emergency c-section.

2) We live in a town where you can't have babies. The hospital is not equipped to deal with births, and the doctor staffing the hospital is a locum GP. Pregnant women have to leave town 4 weeks before their due date and go to where there is a hospital. With DS I was out of town for 7 weeks before he was born and it was a terrible waiting game. Elective c-section I know when the baby will come and can time my exit from town around it.

3) Combines with point 2 - DF will need to keep working up until right before the baby is born. If I was to wait to go into spontaneous labour then I would want him with me from 38 weeks (hospital I am having the baby at is 6 hours drive from our home). If I went over due, then it could be up to 4 weeks of leave "wasted" in waiting. This way he knows when the baby is coming and can finish up work based on that.

4) I didn't find the recovery from my c-section horrible at all. As long as you keep on top of the pain management, it is fine. I was walking with the pram within a week of my c-section and was feeling normal (except for a little tenderness around the scar) within 2 weeks. I had a friend who had a vaginal birth who had 3rd degree tearing. She couldn't walk up and down stairs (she had stairs out the front of her house) or drive for 4 weeks due to the pain. I don't want that!!

5) I want a calm, planned birth.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I just want to point out c/s is far from pain free. The spinal hurts, the catheter hurts and the pain after the op is pretty bad. Getting out of bed was agony. I was sore for about 6-8 weeks. I'm very much in favour of women choosing the birth that suits *them* but I make it a point to dispel the myth that c/s is easy and pain free, far from it.

c/s also has a higher risk of something going wrong as opposed to a low risk vb. Obviously a c/s for placental abruption or praevia, these are true medical necessities and why c/s is there.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (04-02-2012)