+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Given ur circumstances, no I wouldn't. It's time consuming, and bub would be getting no benefit. I think that time's better spent elsewhere.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peanuthead For This Useful Post:

swizzlestick  (04-02-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way. I express bottlefed one of my kids. Way too much work when you have a newborn.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think I could emotionally do it.
    I exclusively bf dd and gave her pu ebm when I returned to work. Expressing was the hardest thing and I cried on the few occasions i dropped it and spilt or it went to waste. So I don't think I could express than dispose of it. It'd be upsetting to me to do this.

I agree with Thermy - not prying but I'd look it to alternative meds you may be able to have instead or look into donated ebm. Not to sound stupid or anything but is possible that it'll fade out of the express milk when frozen? I had a pet scan when dd was 8 weeks I couldn't be in contact until a 6 hours later. I expressed when I got home and was told I could give that milk to dd later as the isotopes in the nuclear dye they use during scan fades out of the milk..,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, unfortunately I can't change my medication, it's taken years for my colitis to be stabilized on this particular one, and I breastfed my DS and it made him very sick, so have been advised not to breastfeed this time at all. Which is very disappointing as it was a great experience, but I am also happy with formula as an alternative. I hadn't considered donated breastmilk, how do they ensure that the breastmilk is stored hygienically and that it doesn't have any type of contaminants (like medications, disease or alcohol for example), the reason I ask, Is if there is some type of filtering for example, then maybe I could do that with my own breast milk??? Maybe?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzlestick View Post
    Thanks for your replies, unfortunately I can't change my medication, it's taken years for my colitis to be stabilized on this particular one, and I breastfed my DS and it made him very sick, so have been advised not to breastfeed this time at all. Which is very disappointing as it was a great experience, but I am also happy with formula as an alternative. I hadn't considered donated breastmilk, how do they ensure that the breastmilk is stored hygienically and that it doesn't have any type of contaminants (like medications, disease or alcohol for example), the reason I ask, Is if there is some type of filtering for example, then maybe I could do that with my own breast milk??? Maybe?
    Most people who use donated ebm ask for screening tests to be done I'm sorry I don't know much about filtering BM, maybe you could speak to the person who is helping you manage your illness?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give Rodney Whyte (Monash Drug Info Centre) a call and get accurate up to date information on your specific meds and your ability to breastfeed while taking them.

Too often women are wrongly told that they can not breastfeed due to meds or tests.

Rodney is a lovely man, and i have found his service invaluable.

Mr Rodney Whyte
    E: r.whyte@southernhealth.org.au
    T: (03) 9594 2361
    F: (03) 9594 6595

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (04-02-2012),Mysurprisebaby  (05-02-2012),smootch  (05-02-2012)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Give Rodney Whyte (Monash Drug Info Centre) a call and get accurate up to date information on your specific meds and your ability to breastfeed while taking them.

Too often women are wrongly told that they can not breastfeed due to meds or tests.

Rodney is a lovely man, and i have found his service invaluable.

Mr Rodney Whyte
    E: r.whyte@southernhealth.org.au
    T: (03) 9594 2361
    F: (03) 9594 6595
    Thanks, I will try calling him through the week to see what he says, but unfortunately I have seen first hand the affects on my DS that breastfeeding while on medication had, so I'm not holding out any hope of that being an option.

I've accepted that bottle feeding is the only real option, I'm definitely disappointed (which is suprising me to be honest) and that is probably why i even entertained the idea of expressing thinking, what if something miraculous occurs and I can come off my medication, which won't happen but I'm always living in hope... Aaaagggh, I thought the toughest decision would be what double pram to buy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some of the decisions we have to make are harder than others, eh? :hug: Can you talk to a lactation consultant about the benefits to you of expressing? If you can't use the milk, you wouldn't have to worry so much about cleaning pump equipment and properly storing milk- and these are often the painful parts of expressing. If you find it doesn't work for you, you could always stop.

I will just add this link too, cos it might come in handy for others who read this thread: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

The link is to a database of published research on medications and their effects on breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't express, but I did dry off naturally (FF from birth).

My uterus contracted properly and u definitely had pains, without expressing.

Maybe dry off naturally?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    If you're pumping and dumping then there's no need to steralise equipment. Personally I would just make the decision after bubs is born. Your baby might be a very easy baby which will give you the time to express. Alternatively your baby might be more demanding (I'm looking at YOU DD) and not give you the time to express.

After pains can be pretty awful but as you say there are benefits of lactating (uterus returns to size, decrease risk of various cancers etc).