+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are the negatives of choosing a really common/popular name?

We are TTC and very excited about choosing our baby names!

For a long time we were set on either Larissa or Lorelai for a girl, but have recently changed our minds because we don't really love the abbreviations, Lara or Rory. (Or the other possiblities for shortening Lorelai, which include Lore and other things we like even less!)

We LOVE the name Isabella, and all of its possible abbreviations, Issy, Bel, Bella, Bels ...

I think it is the most beautiful name but my only concern is how common it is these days. I checked it on the website that tracks baby names over time and I'm sure its sudden increase in popularity is all to do with Twilight!

My worry is naming my baby Isabella and her ending up in a class where half the girls are called Isabella (and half the boys are called Edward or Jacob!)

If you really love a name, is the fact that it is a really common/popular name a reason not to use it? Will my girl grow up not liking her name because it is so common and thus perhaps a bit boring?

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The main thing that's deterred me from common names is I don't want the kids in my future child's class to call her 'brown, tall, Isabella B' because there's already 2 other Isabella B's in her class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you really love it then bugger what other people are doing! Go for it.
    I went with two unusual names for my girls and have the worst pronouciation issues now.

Kianna (Key-anna) Gets Key-YARNA we've learn't to stop correcting people now and just live with it!

Ashlyn gets people who think because Ash is in the beginning it must be Ashley. I have a tattoo on my wrist of her name so i can show people her name if they just refuse to listen.

So Common names aren't all bad! No pronounciation issues, and usually you can find all those little personalised products in the shops, name plaques,bowls,pens,placements etc.

I say go for it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kbean For This Useful Post:

lisa2012  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I say choose the name you love and don't worry about if it is popular or not.
    The class thing - well there could end up being other children with the same name no matter name you choose and a popular name doesn't guarantee it will happen. People like to avoid names once they get too popular so there is a good chance by the time you have a baby Isabel wouldn't be as popular as it is right this minute.
    I like common names - i got given an uncommon one and it has caused me a lot of trouble. Constantly spelling it, explaining it, getting it mispronounced.
    You child will always be unique regardless of their name - go with your heart and bugger what everyone else is doing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

lisa2012  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an unusual first name, and my maiden name was also unusual - I spent the first 25 years of my life spelling out and correcting pronunciation of both names. Grateful to have a very common surname now, so I only need to spell my first name now!

Choose a name you love. Isabella is lovely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
    The main thing that's deterred me from common names is I don't want the kids in my future child's class to call her 'brown, tall, Isabella B' because there's already 2 other Isabella B's in her class.
    I have an unusual name, Dad always said I'd appreciate it as I'd never be Name I.

First day of high school, first girl I met had my name. We even changed high schools in the same week by coincidence. She was always short or fat ****, I was always tall or skinny ****. It wasn't nice.

So it can happen with most names.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

lisa2012  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My name is rebecca and I hate it! Too common for my age group and there were so many of us in school. I don't like unique names (most of them) but I like uncommon names. For example Vincent, Portia, Arthur etc. they are names people have heard of but not common

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't say it's bad but I have a real common name and was always emma (letter) eg emma R never just emma which was annoying in school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbean View Post
    I think if you really love it then bugger what other people are doing! Go for it.
    I went with two unusual names for my girls and have the worst pronouciation issues now.

Kianna (Key-anna) Gets Key-YARNA we've learn't to stop correcting people now and just live with it!

Ashlyn gets people who think because Ash is in the beginning it must be Ashley. I have a tattoo on my wrist of her name so i can show people her name if they just refuse to listen.

So Common names aren't all bad! No pronounciation issues, and usually you can find all those little personalised products in the shops, name plaques,bowls,pens,placements etc.

I say go for it!
    Thanks, those are really good points

And in our case, we definitely don't want to name our baby something that will have to be spelt out all the time because my husband and I both have surnames that generally need to be spelt out and we are hyphenating.

So I guess given the situation with our last names, it might be a blessing to have a first name that won't be misspelt or mispronounced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    I wouldn't say it's bad but I have a real common name and was always emma (letter) eg emma R never just emma which was annoying in school
    Yep, I had the same thing actually for a few years in school, being called Lisa L. It didn't bother me too much but everyone is different.

I guess the good thing about Isabella is that she could switch nicknames if she wanted to and different people will probably abbreviate her name differently, so there could be an Issy and a Bella in the same class, instead of Isabella L, Isabella B etc.

I like the idea that with so many options for nicknames she could choose the one she wanted to be called by.

In general, do you think Isabella is a better choice than Larissa or Lorelai?